Go Back   CMP Forums > Regional Matches and Events > Atlantic > Pennsylvania
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM

Started today, take your hunting license with you. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ase/index.html
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM

I was at the Wexford range this morning. I was first there behind two brass rats that were picking up but not shooting. The range was the best I have seen it in a long time.
I hung my target and talked to the brass rats for about 30 min about my AR and competition shooting.
Two pistol shooters showed up then three riflemen. The pistol shooters asked if the line was cold so they could post targets I checked left and right since I was center line and asked as well if the three rillemen they were all clear and they said yes. The pistol shooters go down to post. One of the riflemen picks up his rifle. I had to tell him no handling when people are down range. The pistol shooters get back to the line and I made the line hot. Pistol guys started shooting. Riflemen pull out machine pistols and begin to bump fire. I told them they should at least post a target so the do not get in trouble for indiscreniment firing. They even shot my target in their spray and pray fun. I was thinking that this will be a good test of my concentration, I shot 22 shots on a 600 yd reduced to 100 yard target and shot only four nines. The entire time I was thinking where it the warden when you need one. As I got up from my mat, the warden was showing the three his badge. They got cited for no hunting tag or range permit, and violation of several safety rules.
Sometimes there is a cop when you need one.

Last edited by X Hunter; 04-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
If you have the hunting license or permit, you are allowed to bring (1) guest to shoot. So if you are bringing your daughter, she will be okay.
Just got back to this thread...my daughter is 35 years old. She'll need a permit or hunting license. I am not a hunter myself, so if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known about the new rule.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:08 PM

I suppose I would be annoyed by this new rule if there were any ranges around me and if I didn't have a hunting license.

However, I would like to know the real reason they are now requiring hunting licenses to use the ranges. Something tells me that it has nothing to do with maintenance costs; I doubt they really expect to sell that many more licenses.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM

The Fish & Boat Comm requires non-powered water craft that use a boat ramp, paid for by power boaters, to have a launch permit to help maintain the ramps and docks.
I see no difference in the Game Comm requiring non-hunters, that use ranges paid for by hunters, to have a range use permit. The range use permit is $30 or $2.50/month, not many clubs have memberships that cheap.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 PM

This regulation bothers me because I don't hunt anymore. I did hunt for years but health conditions just don't allow me that option anymore. I do however still like to shoot and I have a state game lands range 20 minutes from the house. All of the gun clubs in this area are way too expensive to join for the few times a year that I use the range...

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM

I believe the Pa Game Commission gets matching funds from the Federal government for every hunting license it sells. The state doesn't get any matching funds for a range permit. So it makes sense to set the range fee higher than a base hunting license. People will buy a hunting license instead of the range permit and the Game Commission get more money.

Looking for 1905 style S/A bayonets S/N 922033 & 1045220

John
Proud Member of the M1CC #112
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 AM

I used to go to French creek state park before joining a private club. It's amazing the amount of NJ tags in the parking lot and when they pop their trunk out come the Ar15's and AK's. I guess since they are illegal in their state they come over here. I hope the new rule keeps them out of PA. I like the private club better most times I have the whole range to myself. I don't have to worry about people hosing down the range.