Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Where are all of the CMP carbine receivers and barreled actions.

Did they all get built up. Is someone sitting on a pile of them. I would love to have a really nice carbine but the prices are just out of my league at this time in my life. I think I want to build one to scratch the itch. I have about every part except a receiver. An older guy kinda close to me has the tools to barrel one. What gives. Am I just too late to the party.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:09 PM

They do turn-up, but a good receiver can cost 60% the cost of a complete carbine and a barreled receiver more like 75-80%.

I always wonder just why somebody has a naked receiver lying around. You never know if it’s any good until you build it out. It’s a crap-shoot. In most cases, one can part-out a working carbine for more than it may sell for, but I think it’s still risky.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:41 PM

I have a suggestion for you that may get-you-shooting. Now and then, a commercial receiver and/or barreled action will show up for much less than a GI. If you have everything you need to build a carbine, be on the look out for one of the early commercial receivers/actions. Beware a Universal. You will need an early single-spring serial number and it will be 100% USGI compatible. I know...I have one.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Unfortunately the days of the $125 BRs are gone... If you have nice parts you'd probably be better off selling them and buying a complete rifle. Building them up is fun and rewarding but just too expensive now.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

As the song goes, I second that emotion. In recent years, I don't think I have seen a decent looking carbine receiver sell for less than $400, even for a common make.

Same thing with Garand receivers, but loose ones of those are a little more common and perhaps not quite as pricey.

Yes, you are pretty late to this party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post
Unfortunately the days of the $125 BRs are gone... If you have nice parts you'd probably be better off selling them and buying a complete rifle. Building them up is fun and rewarding but just too expensive now.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSnlB28 View Post

This is the same thing a well respected member here told me in PM's. I just suck at selling things (buy high/sell low)
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Looks like Charlie is getting ready to sell a Winchester receiver.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=248689