Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Default AR 15 Mag Ban Info Requested

I am continuing to downsize my shooting items. I came across some AR 15 mags, in the wrapper. Three are dated 1982 one has 86. These dates on on the packaging, not the mags. One mag is Okay, other 3 Adventureline.

Any of you know the pre-ban post ban dates on these things?

Then I got Chinese AK 30 round mags in bags, I bought in the early 80's. I never looked for dates on these ever.

TIA
sparx
Old 01-22-2018, 03:13 PM

"X-ban" is now irrelevant. The bill that banned all that stuff expired about fifteen years ago. Seeing as it was a ten-year bill, that'd put the "ban" date around 1992 pulsar minus. That being said, some states have enacted their own "ban." I don't think AZ is one of them.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Oops, the Clinton anti-"assault" weapon bill went through in 1994.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM

Here in Massachusetts that van is still very much in effect. Generally speaking magazines made after the Implementation of the AWB (1994) are dated or say law-enforcement/military use only. Here in Massachusetts burden of proof for manufacture date is on the state.
25$ Is the going rate however, doors in the wrapper so that might change the Price
Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 PM

Exclamation

There is only a ban if it's a state, county or city ban. I see you are in Arizona. If I'm not mistaken your mags could be 100 round drums and still be legal in all or most of Arizona. Of course this doesn't take into consideration any local county or city restrictions. Check your local laws. It's the only way to know for sure. Google is your friend.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:18 PM

I wish to sell them I do not own an ar any more.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 PM

Go to Midway USA or Brownells or 44mag.com and see which states they will sell magazines to. That will give you the quickest answer as to where you can sell the magazines.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:23 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparx View Post
I wish to sell them I do not own an ar any more.
I don't think it's illegal for you to sell them to anyone, anywhere. It's the buyer who buys them where they cannot legally own them that takes full responsibility and legal accountability for their purchase a ownership.

Retail folks operate on a completely different set of rules concerning liability.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 AM

I think there is a relatively recent case history where a US-based magazine manufacturer was taken to court (Civil / Criminal, I think the latter?) by a US State, in which the manufacturer had no 'physical' holdings.

Few years ago, a buddy twice unknowingly shipped hi-cap mags to a state that he shouldn't have. 3rd sale would have been to a state he KNEW had a ban. He didn't do that one, AND, told me he found the other state on the list.

In reading on some other forum, I found a link-reference to Westlaw or LexisNexis - one of those sites, where the Long Arm of the Law was referred to in the case details.

If I can find link, I'll edit. I imagine depth of seller's pockets is looked upon by local DA / legal authority, but meantime, you know what they say about safety, and being sorry afterward

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM

In the late 80's US army decided the black followers were a no go.....regards....alex