Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM

Default Carbine Stock Fit

Hey Guys,

I got a carbine from a guy that had a heavily varnished stock that I sanded down and refinished lightly. I wanted to get a nice USGI stock that matched an IO handguard I picked up. At the Knob Creek show last year I picked up what I think is a M2 potbelly stock which looked great for $30. When I got it home I tried to install it with my handguard and it would not allow the barrel band retaining spring to lock down. I tightened it as tight as I could and when I was at the range the handguard popped off. I tried to file it down a bit to see if it would lock down and basically ended up ruining the stock.

Fast forward to last week, I picked up a stock and handguard set at this years Knob Creek show to hopefully drop my Inland into and again I could not get the barrel band to engage the spring!!! Before I ruin another stock is there anything I could do? I was thinking of picking up another barrel band but do not want to mess with the front sight.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Fit the handguard and not the stock. Perhaps try another band spring. Relieve wood where contact is made using a wood rasp. Slowly and check fit often.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the response. What do you suggest I do to fit the handguard?

Matt
Old 10-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matee88
When I got it home I tried to install it with my handguard and it would not allow the barrel band retaining spring to lock down. I tightened it as tight as I could and when I was at the range the handguard popped off. I tried to file it down a bit to see if it would lock down and basically ended up ruining the stock.
Have you tried bending the band retaining spring outward? Sometimes they are "weak" and lose their original shape. The hole it's installed in might not even be perpendicular to the barrel axis. Try another spring? Waay cheaper than a handguard (or a stock)

Last edited by meplat; 10-25-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM

You have to look at the areas that are making contact and relieve them slowly. Do as meplat has stated with the handguard by adjusting the metal lip. I often bend it slightly upward to improve downforce. Quite often this eliminates play and wiggle. Also could potentially make the handguard a little bit shorter in length. I have had this happen once and the band spring swap and a tad bit of wood rasp relief to the stock ledge for lack of a better term fixed it right up. Once it snaps on your golden.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM

It sounds as if the metal plate on the handguard is not fitted all the way into the reciever that in turn does not let the barrel band come all the way back to lock onto the retaining spring.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:27 PM

Pictures?

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131198
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM

If a stock does not look sixty years old and drug behind a tank twenty miles, it may not be a GI stock. Pictures would help.