Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Default Carbine stock fit question...

Just received a Winchester racker, and am new to the M1 Carbine world. I know it's a rack grade, but the fit of the handguard and stock seem a bit loose. There is at least 1/16" front/back movement between the receiver and recoil plate, and the handguard can be removed with fairly little effort. With my being new to the M1 Carbine, I question if this is normal or not. I didn't want to contact customer service if this seems to fall within normal range. Any help is appreciated...thanks - trp
Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 AM

The receiver and recoil plate should lock up tightly together. The back side of the recoil plate should fit snuggly against the stock. That is where the receiver is held in place. There is actually very little wood to metal contact when a receiver is properly fitted in a stock except along the sides to keep it from moving laterally. It is actually slightly suspended above the wood. As for the handguard, if you can take it off without removing the barrel band, it is too loose. They can move around, but should not dismount themselves.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:57 AM

Thank you very much for your reply. That will be some helpful info. The receiver actually "rattles" back and forth, and the handguard can be easily removed with two fingers, having not removed any metal hardware. I think I may need to contact customer service. Thank you again - trp
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Is this with the screw on the barrel band tight or loose?????When the barrel band screw is loose they are like that, but if the screw is tightened it should tighten the fit up......
Have a Great Day!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Just checked again, all screws were tight. Thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 10:26 AM

You may also loosen the front band screw and make sure the band is all the way down were the locking spring snaps into it. Maybe even tap it down with a rubber mallet and then tighten the screw.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorton21 View Post
You may also loosen the front band screw and make sure the band is all the way down were the locking spring snaps into it. Maybe even tap it down with a rubber mallet and then tighten the screw.
My Winchester Racker has the same problem. It moves front and back about the width of a credit card.

It also slides left to right easily, about the same amount.

The screw is tight.

Is this normal? Is it safe?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that, and it works temporarily, but the barrel band just slides right back to its original position, loosening the handguard and receiver again. For a second, I thought that was going to solve the problem.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock View Post
My Winchester Racker has the same problem. It moves front and back about the width of a credit card.

It also slides left to right easily, about the same amount.

The screw is tight.

Is this normal? Is it safe?
Some movement is normal. Some are very loose. Others are very tight and don't move at all. As long as it doesn't come off by itself it should be fine. Even if it does come off, there shouldn't be a safety issue with it. The barrel band is what holds everything together.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Smile

2 of my carbines came with loose fitting hand guards and it drove me nuts.What worked well to remedy the problem was to take an 1/8" wide rubber band and cut a piece about 1 1/2" long and put it inside the top portion of the barrel band where it meets the front of the hand guard.If you have trouble getting the rubber band to stay in place while slideing the bbl band over the hand guard try holding the gun upside down where gravity works in your favor.
When tightening down the band screw just get it snug.Don't "reef" on it or it could tweek the bbl affecting accuracy or worse.
As for the recoil plate I don't know if this will work in your case but try cleaning the screw threads real good.Also look at the top of the carbine sales page and click where it says Accuracy.Part of that deals with recoil plate issues.Same thing with the recoil plate screw just get it snug don't reef or it could damage the wood.I hope at least some of this helps.Good luck.