Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM

Coming along nicely. Another coat of linseed oil and let it set about 30 minutes. Wipe it down to remove excess. Let it thoroughly dry for a day or two, then steel or brass wool it with 0000 and do another coat of linseed. Others may chime in with their favorite procedures for finishing up. Maybe a coat of Feibring's Dark brown wiped of quickly will give it just a touch more brown to match you hand guard. Or, strip the HG and stain it to match the stock....
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ChrsGuit

Thanks Gunny. I've already applied one coat of linseed oil, but it seemed to take alot of the red/brown out of it. I let it soak a bit, then did a thorough wipe down. I have used steel wool previously, but I'm trying some new 3m finishing pads that have been doing a great job in only removing the little specs of fuzz or random dust particle. I have some Tom's wax ordered and it should be here as I'm ready for it. As for the hand guard, in this picture it looks a bit darker (not improved by the bad lighting), but it has a dark spot around the op-rod (I'm guessing from years of oil/grease being kicked around). The rest of it matches so well that I am more than satisfied with it. My Garand and 1903a1 Springfield both have the same dark areas around the upper hand guard/action, that I might as well keep the tradition going. Once again, thanks so much for the help and comments!

Tags
identification, m1 carbine, stock