Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 11:26 PM

The "Watch this item" function only allows you to track the current bid on an item, which you can do from the "memorabilia" page. You don't get to see any bid history or competing bids unless you have bid on a particular item. Yes, bidders are obligated to buy, but if a bidder has won multiple auctions, he or she is only obligated to buy one of the items that he won. This has happened in the past and most notably in the last auction, where there were 6 pistols on auction. One bidder won 2 auctions, and another won 3. Allowed or not, that stinks.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingsbums View Post
The "Watch this item" function only allows you to track the current bid on an item, which you can do from the "memorabilia" page. You don't get to see any bid history or competing bids unless you have bid on a particular item. Yes, bidders are obligated to buy, but if a bidder has won multiple auctions, he or she is only obligated to buy one of the items that he won. This has happened in the past and most notably in the last auction, where there were 6 pistols on auction. One bidder won 2 auctions, and another won 3. Allowed or not, that stinks.
How many of those 5 auctions did you bid on?

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-28-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
How many of those 5 auctions did you bid on?
Why would I bid on any of them? I already won an auction 1911. I should have said that you can track the bidding by checking the auctions throughout the day, but you'll only get the bid/bidder at the time you check. And of course, the winning bid/bidder when auction is concluded. So, how did this affect me? It didn't, but it affected those who were bidding against the 2 winners.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:08 PM

If you want a 1911 on auction and are following multiple 1911's, and would be happy with any one of them, you should bid on all of them because you can and probably will be outbid. You are increasing your odds of getting something when the bidding is done. If you haven't bid on an auction the last few minutes are what count and people go back and forth with bids until someone says uncle. If the bidding is hot an item has a few more minutes even after the auction is closed top bidders continue to bid and that's how someone could win multiple auctions. Its not my intention to drive up the price or to try and win more then one 1911 its hoping I win one.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeQ View Post
If you want a 1911 on auction and are following multiple 1911's, and would be happy with any one of them, you should bid on all of them because you can and probably will be outbid. You are increasing your odds of getting something when the bidding is done. If you haven't bid on an auction the last few minutes are what count and people go back and forth with bids until someone says uncle. If the bidding is hot an item has a few more minutes even after the auction is closed top bidders continue to bid and that's how someone could win multiple auctions. Its not my intention to drive up the price or to try and win more then one 1911 its hoping I win one.
But people who are not bidding may think that is not fair.

On a serious note, if I saw a few I liked at the same time I may do that. Itís not intended to be deceptive or fraudulent and CMP has commented.

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 01-29-2020, 09:32 AM

My RGN is still another couple thousand away, and I'm happy with waiting. The auction route may be a consideration if the supply dries up. I appreciate the idea of using parallel auctions to increase one's chances of winning. However, please consider the following final bids on an auction item:
Bidder 1: $1.00
Bidder 2: $5.00
Bidder 3: $10.00
Bidder 2: $15.00
Bidder 3: $20.00 (winner)
Everyone else is out of the game, and bidders 2 and 3 are in an auction war. If bidder 3 wins another auction and is no longer eligible to purchase this item, what will bidder 2 pay? $15.00 because it was their last bid, or $5.00 because it was their highest bid before the bidding war began.

In a real auction the difference can be significant (e.g., hundreds of dollars) especially when automatic bids are made and a maximum bid could be in the thousands of dollars.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightFlyer View Post
My RGN is still another couple thousand away, and I'm happy with waiting. The auction route may be a consideration if the supply dries up. I appreciate the idea of using parallel auctions to increase one's chances of winning. However, please consider the following final bids on an auction item:
Everyone else is out of the game, and bidders 2 and 3 are in an auction war. If bidder 3 wins another auction and is no longer eligible to purchase this item, what will bidder 2 pay? $15.00 because it was their last bid, or $5.00 because it was their highest bid before the bidding war began.

In a real auction the difference can be significant (e.g., hundreds of dollars) especially when automatic bids are made and a maximum bid could be in the thousands of dollars.
LOL! Nobody is ever going to get the item for his highest bid BEFORE a bidding war began. Either he'll be offered the item at his highest bid or the seller will re-list the item.

Rick
Old 01-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightFlyer View Post
...please consider the following final bids on an auction item:
Everyone else is out of the game, and bidders 2 and 3 are in an auction war. If bidder 3 wins another auction and is no longer eligible to purchase this item, what will bidder 2 pay?
I have seen instances (not on CMP auctions) where all of a non-paying bidder's bids were removed as they were deemed irrelevant or, in some cases, fraudulent since they could or would not pay. That would leave the above example selling to Bidder 2 for $5 (this is an extreme example with respect to percentages but you get the idea).
Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 AM

Per my question on Item 5637, CMP6 has stated that now one may only bid the highest bid on one 1911 at a time. If you bid on one and are the highest at the time, you cannot bid on another until your bid is on the first is passed by someone else. How he is going to enforce it, I do not know.
"Q: Question on the new red information line. Does that mean that no matter what, we can only bid on one. Or is it just that if you win one, that is all you can bid on as was the case before the line was added? posted by: 2/10/2020 10:21:17 PM
A: We have had issues with people bidding on all the 1911 posted for a week winning two three or more. This is causing problems and we are needing it to stop. This red line means that you can only hold a bid on one 1911 at a time. If you get out bidded on one item then you can bid on a different 1911 if you wish. You can only hold the bid for one pistol."
Old 02-17-2020, 06:30 PM

To enforce this, i.e. someone bidding on multiple auctions, the CMP, I am sure has an algorithm that looks for the same bidder on different auctions being run. The computer than places a block on that bidder or deletes all of their bids. Only takes a second if that long for the computer to react.
Closed Thread