Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Default WRA Educational Contract Garand

Just came up on the auction this morning, WRA 100184. Is already at $3K and reserve not met. Beautiful rifle and fantastic looking stock BUT is a later GHD with the trap. Should be a RS no trap. The only one Duff shows in his data sheet book is 100001 which was retained by WRA. That one has a square wire operating spring, 100184 has a standard round wire spring. Wonder how CMP got this one? Donation? Would be interesting to get Bubba's take on this rifle.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Banned

I am curious if the found it in returns or how they got it too. Is should be in a GCA article updated or not. When there was a post a couple weeks ago seeking info I was hoping we would get to see it cross the auction.

Auction Link: https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...fle-WRA-100184

Photo link: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...xod2pfWEZRVEtn

Last edited by Quarterbore; 07-06-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:22 AM

Nice anneal color too !

The owner of WRA 100180 sent me an email last year when he bought it at Tulsa.

There are quite a few three digit Winchester rifles that are known, origial color was DuLite
Old 07-06-2020, 02:48 PM

I hope it finds a good home...amazing!!
Old 07-06-2020, 02:57 PM

One of the nicest heel stamps I've seen on a WRA.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:07 PM

Is this rifle as close to original as I think? I donít have all the small parts committed to memory, but aside from the stock, the only things I see that I would want to look up is the front sight, op-rod spring, and clip latch. Even the hand guard hardware seems original. Iíll be very interested to see how much this goes for.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:08 PM

Not even remotely close to original. Some nice early parts, and many correct early parts, big dollar items missing. Unmodified RS stock (hard to find), solid butt plate, early WRA follower rod for comp spring (hard to find), comp spring, keystone spring and there are many small parts visible that are incorrect and several small parts that can't be seen well enough in the photos to verify.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:37 PM

The stock is what it is, but this seems like a pretty legit rifle to say that it isnít remotely close, donít you think? Youíve got the barrel, youíve got the sights, you have the bolt, handguards/hardware, uncut op rod, gas cylinder, and maybe most (if not all) of the trigger group? Am I assuming some of those are correct when they are not? Obviously thereís a lot of parts left, but the big pieces all seem to be there. If one were inclined to correct this rifle, itís in a pretty good starting point, donít you think?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 PM

Based on the photos the barrel is not correct, elevation knob is not correct, can't see the rest of the rear sight base to determine if it is correct or not, firing pin is not correct, ejector spring is not correct, can't tell if the trigger guard is correct from the pictures (proper view isn't included) but I doubt as the salient feature has never been published, trigger does not appear correct, rear handguard clip is not correct, bullet guide is not correct, follower slide is not correct, to confirm the handguards would best be inspected in person, plus all mentioned earlier missing parts such as RS stock, follower rod, comp spring, keystone spring, solid butt plate and so on. If you can find the RS stock, early WRA follower rod, comp spring and keystone spring, those four items in sum are pushing 5 figures today.

WRA Educational Order M1 Rifles are very unique. There is so much to know about these rifles, very little of it has ever been published. Is the Gas Cylinder correct and nice, you bet. Op Rod also, early WRA bolt, EO safeties have been published and without the hammer released it appears to be correct and several other pieces.

Original, not close. Correct? As you point out, some nice pieces to start with and work from, my experience indicates that the hardest to find parts for this period are not on the rifle. Mtlucas0311, please take me in all respect, just laying it out as I see it. Yes, this is nice piece... as is yours, the most important part being the receiver.

The best information source to date has been The Garand Stand (not my publication, for the record). For as much has been published, just as much hasn't been published about this group of M1 Rifles.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:44 PM

No worries on my end, Iím just chatting. I know a little, but far from an expert. I am curious what you donít like about the barrel? There seems to be so many fewer variations of WRA parts than Springfield, when I see early numbered parts together I generally assume theyíre original. Like you mentioned, the stock is a huge hurdle, and even if you cough up 6 or 8 grand for one, everybody knows itís not original because anyone who is serious enough to be a player on this level of rifle seems to know where the others are and what condition theyíve been in through the years. Iíve been waiting a long time to see one of these pop up on auction, I thought for sure one would come out of the Philippines.

Mike.