Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 AM

This entire discussion could be relabeled M2 carbine. I once tied one down and it flew apart!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:14 PM

I suck at controlling full. If you are in Vegas, Battlefield Vegas has an amazing selection of class 3 firearms for rent. Next time I will make a point to rent an m14.

FAL
https://youtu.be/V5vpoGkF6B0

G3
https://youtu.be/gffxmFsnOQY

BAR
https://youtu.be/8y3b_JJkEvg
Old 01-14-2019, 02:44 AM

Thank you for all who replied to this thread I started. Fascinating. I deeply regret not owning an M14 and a place to shoot one. Years ago when I worked for Bob's Coin and Guns, we received a delivery from H&K. It was two HK 91 select fire; of course we needed to immediately send them back as we were not class 3. Broke my heart.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM

I don't think 100 yards was meant for FA fire. I even had trouble keeping on target with an M16 at that range. The M14 is not totally bad when shooting three round bursts at close range. I have shot a few M14 and FA M1A rifles in FA. I put about 80 rounds through a LEA M14 in FA and it beat the snot out of me, but it was great fun. I just don't take it seriously.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM

My M60 qualification was always one or two shots (50yrds I believe). M60 "familiarization" was always a run of a small belt at some object on the range 100yrds or more.

With the M60 on the bipod on the ground, gunner in prone position, paper target out at 100yrds -- I'd be curious to know average stats regarding how many rounds it took to get back on target when emptying a belt.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Full Auto

As a USMC in Boot we were trained that if you fire at a person in full out, you aim at the ground to the right if him. hit the trigger and release.
You will put one round in the ground, 3 across his body, and the 4th above the shoulder.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanley View Post
As a USMC in Boot we were trained that if you fire at a person in full out, you aim at the ground to the right if him. hit the trigger and release.
You will put one round in the ground, 3 across his body, and the 4th above the shoulder.
Finally.... give that man a prize! What we have here is a properly trained and designated fire team gunner. Well done amanley! Windsor asked about emptying a belt and how many rounds it took to get back on target....you don't do that, ever.

Belt or magazine, all machine guns are designed to be burst fire for maximum effect on accuracy, cooling, distribution, conservation of ammunition, etc.

Hey Ted, talk about getting the snot beat out of you using select fire weapons, try about 10 mags through a G3. 4 to 5 burst per mag. The narrow buttstock gave me a bruise on my cheek and a sore jaw. Felt like I had been in a fight. I did ok with it though, just had to pay for it for the next week while I healed up.

When I got home, my wife asked me who gave me the black eye....and if I had gone back to drinking and fighting again. Of course, my answer was, "Who? Me?"
Old 01-23-2019, 09:55 AM

What was the trick used on the B.A.R. that made it controllable? Just it's weight?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2AD_Vet View Post
What was the trick used on the B.A.R. that made it controllable? Just it's weight?
As the owner of both a 1918A2 and FN-D in .30 cal, [REGISTERED!], I'm not sure exactly what controllable is in spite of their weight. Ranging from 350-450 and 500-650 rds/minute for the 1918A2, and 600 +/- for the FN-D, it is possible with a short burst and some experience to "control" fire. But even with bipods and weight the weapons will jump a bit. .30 ammunition is going to cause recoil. There is a bit of a thrill trying to accurately shoot the BAR from hip or shoulder, even with a 2-4 rd "burst." Combat footage from WWII has good examples of the BAR in action. *Both are a pleasure to shoot.
*FN-D Monopod

Last edited by BobJ50; 01-23-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: *Monopod
Old 01-25-2019, 01:28 PM

I'm sure weight has something to do with it. I put 100 rounds through an M60 at 300 yards and I was amazed at how accurate it was. Of course I did most of the shooting with short bursts, but that is how it's supposed to be done. Shot it on the bipod, prone. It was great fun after the AG's matches in Nevada. The M60 belonged to the Nevada Air National Guard. Don't laugh, they won the match.