Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Default M14 Newbi questions

Hi all, I'm new to the M14 platform and have a couple questions for the wise ones here. I picked up one of the Dupage M14 kits based on you guy's excitement and my desire to jump into the M14 pool. I’m a M1 Garand guy, so some of this platform is familiar to me. It came with an H&R trigger housing and sight base, the rest of the parts are unmarked as far as I can tell. I really like the idea of building a USGI clone. I located a nice H&R 12-60 barrel for a good price. Then decided to go the JRA H&R heeled receiver route and am currently on the waiting list. I’m sending the parts kit to Shuff’s for Parkerizing and refinish so everything will look new like the receiver. I will send the refinished barrel to JRA for install on the new receiver. JRA has a bunch of H&R heels. I’m not a competitive marksman and probably won’t be putting an optic on it, so USGI accuracy is good enough for my old eyes. I will also install a Hawk selector kit. I’m looking for something as close as possible to what would be handed to a GI in RVN.

So here are a couple questions.

With a 12-60 barrel date and assuming an early ’61 assembly date, what would be a serial range for the receiver heel?

What would be a correct H&R bolt? I’m in the market for one and will be putting an ad in the market place. Hopefully I can locate one that headspaces correctly.

I got 3 magazines with the barrel. Any opinions?

One is marked C.M.I. and looks brand new with dark dry park.

The other 2 are unmarked and look exactly the same, brand new, charcoal park with old cosmoline, one is in the foil lined bag. It’s marked Ludlow Corp. Laminating and Coating Division, Marvelseal 1312, Lot No. H-6191, 12-82. There’s another mark: Intl. Plastic Products, Foil Craft 1312, 4/83 (bag manufacturer?)

Any advice, opinions, etc. will be appreciated.
"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN

Last edited by mycanoe44; 02-12-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 AM

Any Serial number would be correct for Viet Nam issue.
Bolt could be of any mfg and all would be correct for the period, all are expendables as were the barrels.
When you install the Hawk kit, the button would be the most common to have seen in RVN.
Good luck.
Nice project.
RVN 67-68
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 AM

I'm not sure about actual serial number assembly sequence but, based on your barrel date of 12-60, the HRA second contract issued in Feb 60 with serial numbers from 205614 - 277713 would probably be correct.
Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 PM

This is a Dupage kit (H&R) with a Hawk's button and connector kit. I used a like new GI stock I bought for this purpose. I did not use a "heeled" receiver... Bula Forge was good enough for me.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Why not have Shuff install the barrel while everything is getting parked?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Wis. View Post
This is a Dupage kit (H&R) with a Hawk's button and connector kit. I used a like new GI stock I bought for this purpose. I did not use a "heeled" receiver... Bula Forge was good enough for me.

Absolutely awesome and as close to issue as one can find.
RVN 67-68
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the as-issued eye candy, always nice to see the reward for careful work .
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Any Serial number would be correct for Viet Nam issue.
Bolt could be of any mfg and all would be correct for the period, all are expendables as were the barrels.
When you install the Hawk kit, the button would be the most common to have seen in RVN.
Good luck.
Nice project.
Thanks, I hope it turns out as nice as your builds.
"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav_cdr View Post
I'm not sure about actual serial number assembly sequence but, based on your barrel date of 12-60, the HRA second contract issued in Feb 60 with serial numbers from 205614 - 277713 would probably be correct.
Hope that helps.
Thanks cav, I hope JRA has a nice one in that range.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Mike, that's the look I'm going for. Mine will have a Bula receiver, just finished off by JRA. Did you refinish any of your parts?

Some of mine had pretty worn finish, and I got a birch stock which I'm not thrilled with. I'm a walnut guy, so I may trade but I'll see what it looks like first. It may grow on me.