Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Smile New to me 03-A3

Encouraged by reports of 03s and 03-A3s I drove to the South Store Saturday morning. Due to circumstances I arrived well after the morning rush and so had small hope of finding anything nice. Only a couple of 03s and 5 A3s left, pretty picked over. Started looking and lo, picked up Remington 03-A3 #3557768 inspected by J.B. 13 July 18 Muzzle 1 throat 2. The rifle was dry and dusty but after getting it home for through cleaning and a light wipe of linseed oil on the wood this rifle looks almost new. It is parked and blued in all the right places best I can tell it may be original. At any rate I'm thrilled with it and thank Mr. Beard for his efforts at the CMP and his contributions to the hobby in general.
As an after thought, sure would have liked to have seen the rifles that were picked ahead of this one.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Any photos? Sounds like your trip was worth while.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM

SO last report I had they would not have any more 03 or a3s at the store do you mind if I ask the price and are they graded? Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapdoor 73 View Post
SO last report I had they would not have any more 03 or a3s at the store do you mind if I ask the price and are they graded? Thanks
Picked up a 1903A3 at the North Store on Sat. for $670+Tax. Mine had no grading on the hang tag other than "good bore".....ME0 TE1
I believe the South Store 03A3's were priced the same....
Old 02-18-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
M1903 and M'03-A3 rifles are gauged for serviceable headspace, muzzle erosion, and throat erosion. The bore is graded as "Good Bore" or "Dark Bore". Rifles having unserviceable (badly pitted) bores are salvaged for parts. The muzzle erosion, throat erosion, and bore grade are written on the hanging tag. No other grading is done.

J.B.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:33 PM

No grading, 03-A3s were $670 and 03s were about $100 more but the 03s had C stocks so that may be the difference in price. Someone said CMP had a one per year limit on them but I do not know if that is true.

I would love to share pictures but am not smart enough to post them.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Whoever reported that is just wrong.
Consider that some VFW and AL posts still have some, as well as many other organizations (ROTC, various drill organizations). Whenever they get returned they eventually wind up in Anniston.
Also, you never know when another foreign return will have some.
I don't think anyone expects a large shipment but you never know. Small amounts will trickle in for years.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrderlySgt View Post
Encouraged by reports of 03s and 03-A3s I drove to the South Store Saturday morning. Due to circumstances I arrived well after the morning rush and so had small hope of finding anything nice. Only a couple of 03s and 5 A3s left, pretty picked over. Started looking and lo, picked up Remington 03-A3 #3557768 inspected by J.B. 13 July 18 Muzzle 1 throat 2. The rifle was dry and dusty but after getting it home for through cleaning and a light wipe of linseed oil on the wood this rifle looks almost new. It is parked and blued in all the right places best I can tell it may be original. At any rate I'm thrilled with it and thank Mr. Beard for his efforts at the CMP and his contributions to the hobby in general.
As an after thought, sure would have liked to have seen the rifles that were picked ahead of this one.

Remington M'03-A3, S/N 3557768, with original 4-groove, R.A./4-43 barrel, was one of twenty rifles I inspected on 13 July 2018. I noted that the rifle was in original condition and required no repairs or replacements.

Thanks for your patronage!

J.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Whoever reported that is just wrong.
Consider that some VFW and AL posts still have some, as well as many other organizations (ROTC, various drill organizations). Whenever they get returned they eventually wind up in Anniston.
Also, you never know when another foreign return will have some.
I don't think anyone expects a large shipment but you never know. Small amounts will trickle in for years.
JH

I completed inspecting and repairing a 90-rifle pallet of Remington M'03-A3's on 11 Jan 2019. Under current CMP practice, M'03-A3 rifles are released to the stores for sale whenever a pallet is completed. The CMP does indeed have an inventory of M1903 and M'03-A3 rifles from VFW and AL posts. But other than the M'03-A3 rifles I inspect and repair, none are being processed for sale at this time and none are likely to be processed in the near future.

J.B.

Last edited by Big_Red; 03-06-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-18-2019, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

John, if you are giving out inspection info could you check RA #3773995....inspected by you on 5 Oct. 18
Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
John, if you are giving out inspection info could you check RA #3773995....inspected by you on 5 Oct. 18
Thanks!

Remington M'03-A3, S/N 3773955, with 2-groove, R.A./4-43 barrel, was one of thirty-three rifles I inspected on 5 October 2018. According to my notes, the rifle had been arsenal-overhauled, which means it had been re-assembled from mixed parts. I noted that I replaced the bolt in it, meaning that the original bolt from overhaul was mis-matched.

Thanks for your patronage!

J.B.