Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM

Default 1911 vs M9 for CMP matches?

This probably has no simple answer. For an experienced shooter just starting to get into serious competition, is it better to go with a match grade 1911 45 ACP or with the M9?
Does anyone make a competition grade M9 or are they all standard M9 or 92FS weapons that are modified for match use?
Is there a list anywhere of what competitors in the President 100 match are shooting? thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM

things can get very complicated with regard to when M9/M92s are legal, what 1911s can be used etc. in what matches,

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/conventional.asp

but bottom line, it takes a LOT of money (2000.00 + cost of pistol) to get an M9 to shoot as well as a nicely set up 1911. There are also only a handful (or less) people who can do this work.

http://www.mountaincompetitionpistol....688.1020.html
Old 02-14-2010, 08:55 PM

First let me say I've always been a fan of the .45 ACP and not so much of the 9mm Parabellum. The .45 is easier to reload (I'll probably get some comments on that) but I find that inexperienced reloaders have a problem with the 9mm's tapered case. Since EIC matches allow reloaded ammo, you can tailor your .45 FMJ loads as needed for the 50 yard slowfire and the TF/RF portion of the match.

From what I've seen, it is a lot easier and less expensive to get a 1911 to shoot well vs. the M9. Yep, a lot of the top shooters are using the M9 but a lot of them belong to organizations that provide the pistol and they don't have to worry about the expense of having one built. It is my understanding that the bushing on the M9 is only good for around 2,000 rounds. That may seem like a lot, but I've put over 4,000 rounds through my SA 1911A1 since I had Buddy Chapman built it in November 2005 and it still shoots better than I can hold it. Total cost for the pistol and work was around $800.

Most of the people who show up at Leg matches in this neck of the woods are using the 1911. I've only seen two M9s here (Texas) and I've made all the Regionals and State matches since 2004.

The rules for EIC pistols are controlled by the CMP and not the NRA. However, if you use the CMP rules to set up your pistol, it will be legal for NRA Service Pistol matches as well. You can download both rule books at the CMP and NRA sites and compare them.

Bottom line, I would recommend the 1911 since you can use it for EIC matches, regular NRA Bullseye (2700) matches in both the Centerfire and .45 portion of the match and it will be legal for NRA Service Pistol (Bullseye) matches. The M9 would be legal for EIC matches and NRA Service Pistol matches, but you could only use it in the CF portion of a 2700.

When I was in the process of Legging-out, I would shoot my EIC gun for the CF match with hardball....kind of rugged, but very good practice.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Just like the AR did with rifles the M9 in highly modified form is starting to be the gun for top eic/pres 100 competitiors. the problem is there are only 2 or 3 smiths making m9's for this type of shooting and they run about 2 grand and take a year or more to get. I really like the m9(went distinguished with it on a mil team- we shot a different course of fire than bullseye and it was all rack guns however)if you go to the perry SAFS they issue rack m9's.
My practical side says at least for now you will be better served by a 1911. The best off the shelf gun in this regard is probably les baers national match hardball.