Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterstx View Post
I collect '03 NM's (for only about 50 years) and must confess to being baffeled by so many concerns from the get-go. The rifle looks correct and un-boogered in any way. (50-50 possibility of a period replacement handguard. No big deal, pretty normal). In fact, it's clearly an outstanding example. To say it might not be correct is sort of like saying Hilary might not be a Democrat.
It's a very nice stock, may have been modified. It is not original to the rifle for reasons already stated.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 09-21-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif-Steve View Post
The comb and pistol grip appear, from the photos, to be worked-on. Mind you I have not handled the rifle and this is merely an observation.
I've looked the stock over and am not seeing anything obvious around the pistol grip. The comb, near the wrist does look slightly modified, but I'm not seeing it on the pg.

Here is a pic of the NM stock...

Here is an extra Springfield C stock that I have, next to a custom stock on one of my other 1903 match rifles

And here is a Springfield C stock on another of my "match " 1903's (with a butt pad, but otherwise unmolested)

I'm not seeing much difference in the PG among the three. Can you identify where you see the pistol grip work on the NM rifle?

Last edited by Calfed; 09-21-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Here's a question for the experts. Is there anything in the internal shaping of a stock that would help verify its manufacture as a Springfield original? Everyone seems comfortable with sizing up the outside of a stock but is there anything on the inside that would differentiate it from an aftermarket stock?
In reference to the stock on my NM rifle, I believe the "S" in the cutout for the magazine cutoff marks it as a Springfield stock.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM

Well there you have it. The stock looks like a factory job. I'm not so sure that any argument for it not being original to the rifle is any stronger than any argument for it being otherwise. The hand guard might be more appropriate for an earlier rifle, but that may reflect the original owner's sense of aesthetics and function. Congratulations, you have a nice rifle.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:43 PM

The bore is amazing...a "0" on the CMP gauge.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 PM

I have only one thing to say about this rifle and that's "I LOVE IT" and would be very happy to own it.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW2111 View Post
I have only one thing to say about this rifle and that's "I LOVE IT" and would be very happy to own it.
Thanks, Joe!
Old 11-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Default 1903A1 NM rifle.

As the owner of several NM rifles I've watched this thread with great interest.

I've been waiting for someone with more knowledge than I about originality to pose what seems to me as an obvious question: if the stock is original and as issued to the original buyer, as evidenced by the SRS documents, and given the exceptional condition it appears to be in, wouldn't an original issue bear a DAL cartouche? Doesn't appear so in the pictures.

Wouldn't the absence of the cartouche definitely establish the stock as a replacement?

Regards, R Rubrecht