Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
Nope...170kish
1899. Ah, well. Stocks etc. can get switched over the course of a 115 years or so. When that rifle was made, William McKinley was the President. The correct HG for yours looks pretty much the same, except that it will have no hump at all.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Arrived at my FFL today, but unfortunately my FFL was locked out of the FBI system and the boss was not there today. I did get to hold it for a few minutes. I know next to nothing about these rifles, but I am pretty sure I got my monies worth and then some. If my research is correct, it was built in 1899. Everything appeared solid and in good repair. No rust that I could see. The bore looked a little dark, but no rust or pitting and pretty good rifling. There was a small repaired crack on the hand guard. The only marks that I can find on the stock are a small "S" stamped on each side of the butt stock. The front sight blade was present and accounted for, but it wiggled a little. I think I can fix that. If not I have the replacement that ceresco sent me.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM

http://imgur.com/a/gPS0Q
Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 PM

Fedex dropped mine off awhile ago. 1901 date of mfg. Stock is pretty beat up. Hand guard is cracked but it does look to have been re barreled at some point so it has a really nice bore. Since I wanted a shooter I guess that is the most important part. Will try to get some pics of it later on and post.

Mine also has a carbine hand guard like the one dnmccoy got.

Last edited by Str8liner; 03-15-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Mine was almost delivered today... forgot that my LGS happens to be closed on zmondays. Looks like I'll pick up my Krag after my divorce court hahaha. Win win.

SSgt
=Operation Iraqi Freedom 2010=
Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8liner View Post
Fedex dropped mine off awhile ago. 1901 date of mfg. Stock is pretty beat up. Hand guard is cracked but it does look to have been re barreled at some point so it has a really nice bore. Since I wanted a shooter I guess that is the most important part. Will try to get some pics of it later on and post.

Mine also has a carbine hand guard like the one dnmccoy got.
How can you tell if a Krag has been rebarreled?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
How can you tell if a Krag has been rebarreled?
I just thought that because the barrel on mine is blued and there is very little if any finish left on the receiver. They don't match.

Pulled mine down and completely cleaned it over the weekend and loaded up some 220 gr round nose in some 303 brass. Shoots low and to the left so have to work on that with the load as it did seem pretty light.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Barrels and receivers can be made out of different "blends" of steel. The difference in base metals can account for how a receiver and barrel on the same gun ages.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
Barrels and receivers can be made out of different "blends" of steel. The difference in base metals can account for how a receiver and barrel on the same gun ages.
Yea I read something to that effect when I was looking up Krag info.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=Str8liner;1581685]I just thought that because the barrel on mine is blued and there is very little if any finish left on the receiver. They don't match.

Receivers weren't really blued, they were quenched in oil as part of the tempering process. and then left that way. Kind of looks like a weak case coloring, but the barrels were blued, and the bolts were bright.

Last edited by robh5; 03-20-2017 at 09:49 PM.