Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 12:29 AM

Default Beginner

Hello, I've been reading about the EIC matches and I'm interested enough that I think I might try to shoot one of one of the two matches we have here in Kansas this summer. I'm just looking for advice directed toward someone who has absolutely no idea what he's doing other than basic firearms saftey. I don't have any equipment, other than a beat up Danish Rack Grade Garand I bought a while back from the CMP. While it's pretty beat up looking, I can usually keep all 8 shots in the black at 100 yards from a prone position. I've also got some Lake City and HXP ammo.

I'm not expecting to finish anything other than dead last, but I figured there were some quick tips that could get me started on competition shooting. For one thing, how do you practice for something like this? I don't know of any public 600 yard ranges near where I live. I grew up in a home that didn't have any firearms, so I don't really know anything other than what I learned in hunter's safety. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM

We only have a 100 yard range where I can practice, so I use a std 25 yard NRA pistol target (the black is about the same size as the NRA reduced 200 yard target used in 100 yard matches) to practice the off-hand phase of the EIC match. I figure if I can keep them in the black on that target, they will be the same on the std 200 yard target in the EIC match. I use the same target to practice the sitting and prone rapid fires and the slow fire prone stage.

You can practice going from standing to sitting and prone without actually firing. And make up some dummy rounds, so you can practice loading the two rounds for the rapid stages.

If you can, shoot the regular NRA match before the EIC match. That way, you can get your elevation dope down for the 200, 300 and 600 yard line. You should be starting at around 12 clicks up from the bottom for the 200 yard line. That should get you in the black. You'll probably need to go up around 3 to 5 clicks more for 300 and another 5 to 10 clicks for 600 depending on how your rifle shoots.

Learn how to properly use your sling for the sitting and prone stages. Someone at the match can help you with that.

If you don't have a mat to lay on, try and get one (Midway has them pretty cheap) or use a piece of carpet. No point in laying in the dirt.

Don't forget some kind of ball cap to keep the sun off your head. It also provides shade over the rear sight.

And if you can, buy some kind of shooting coat. Creedmoor and Champions Choice have beginner coats for under $100.

There's more, but I'm sure others will chime in on how to get started.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM

Do you start each part of the competition from a standing position?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 PM

The first stage of the match is always standing/off-hand with the sling in the carry position. You can take your sighters (for NRA matches) in any position. No sighters allowed in the EIC match.

I used to take the first sighters sitting and then get up for the standing phase. Now I take the sighters standing, since I have my elevation dope down pretty well.

Once you finish the off-hand (10 rounds in the EIC match, 20 in a regular NRA match) comes the sitting rapid (200 yards), then prone rapid (300 yards) and finally prone slow fire (600 yards).

This is the link for the CMP rule book. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf
The EIC Rifle National Match course of fire is on page 42.

The matches at the Wichita Falls range are at 100 yards, so they use the reduced NRA targets for each phase. That 600 yard reduced target is SMALL.

Fort Wolters in Mineral Wells has regular matches at 200, 300 and 500 yards. We lost our 600 and 1000 yard line a couple years ago. Long story.

Last edited by CDRT; 03-31-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM

Making the decision to become a competitive shooter is great. It is what the CMP is all about. Join a club and learn from other experienced service rifle shooters. Shoot all club level and reduced course matches. Leg matches are few and far between for many competitors. Leg matches are like final exams. No sighters or coaching is allowed. New shooters are welcomed and encouraged because they increase the number of legs up for grabs as a percentage of non-distinguished shooters. But don't feel rained on if the other shooters seem less than helpful at leg matches. They are trying to remain focused on their game. Don't make your first match a leg match. It is like taking a final exam before you have taken the class. Get into a club, go to some clinics, shoot club level NRA matches, and GSM matches like the Eastern Games. Get the confidence you need in your rifle, your gear, your ammo, and your positions. Always shoot from your positions and not from a bench. You are a marksman now, and you don't need something to hold your rifle still for you.
Educate yourself and take your exams. In service rifle the exam is a leg match.
Jump in and stay focused on what you want to achieve. Someday you will be on the list of Distinguished Riflemen.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 PM

focused!

Last edited by ANDYZ28; 04-01-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 05-21-2010, 09:45 AM

this was helpful to me too- thanks!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:50 PM

One of the guys here sent me a word document full of info. Its longer than you can possibly get through in one sitting, but it looks very helpful. Let me know if you want me to pass it along.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke42_02 View Post
One of the guys here sent me a word document full of info. Its longer than you can possibly get through in one sitting, but it looks very helpful. Let me know if you want me to pass it along.
If you could be so kind as to pass it to me, it would be much appreciated. I too, will be competing in these matches begining next year with the goal of Distinguished Rifleman someday. This year I'm entered in the M1 Carbine, Springfield 1903, JCG, and the Vintage matches. Last year I shot only the Vintage which was my first competitive shoot. This is a great sport!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM

Go to the CMP Bookstore and spend $6.95 for the AMU's Service Rifle Guide. It's the best book about shooting High Power, put out by the best shooters in the world.

Also most states have a CMP affiliated club that puts on High Power Clinics for little or now cost (I don't charge for mine, except, I buy the above guide and will sell it to anyone in the clinic at cost. I don't make it mandatory but most end up buying a copy).