Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Sure, mine is rough but will clean up ok. The bore cleaned up but like most of these the last half inch is worn. I may counter bore after seeing how it shoots.
DBU: 1/26/11
E Store: 2/21/11
CCC: 2/21/11
Shipped: 2/22/11
Rcd: 2/23/11
Old 07-30-2011, 10:34 PM

I'd sure like to see pics of these from any of you who purchased them. After WWII, my dad purchased a NEW unused K98 with Nazi eagle marks made in Checkoslavakia for $25 and had it sporterized for $100. Can the bolt that was turned back to accommodate a scope be turned back? Can it be restored to original status? I am now in possession of it.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 AM

In my opinion, if the rifle has been drilled and tapped for a scope and the rear and front sights removed, that pretty much removes it from the "restoration" pool. Is this the case with your rifle?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Banned

I acutually can see the day when the restoration of drilled and tapped rifles is acceptable. Maybe not as much value as a untouched rifle, but have value just the same
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin601 View Post
I acutually can see the day when the restoration of drilled and tapped rifles is acceptable. Maybe not as much value as a untouched rifle, but have value just the same
I've thought of that before and I must reluctlantly agree. As certain rifles become scarcer, it will be more acceptable to take the "sporterized." Look at the Krag carbine. most people don't even know the difference anymore.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
In my opinion, if the rifle has been drilled and tapped for a scope and the rear and front sights removed, that pretty much removes it from the "restoration" pool. Is this the case with your rifle?
Good point, Rick! The opinions of others following your post are valid, as well. I look at it this way to corroborate their reasoning: If you take an ingot of gold and drill and tap it, does that mean that ingot is now worthless and no longer desirable? Another analogy is that of a silver certificate bill that is frayed and torn. Nowadays, that frayed and torn silver certificate is just as desirable as one that is in perfect condition. Time, scarcity, and rarity does change things eventually.

A more practical example is that as the supply of CMP M1 carbines and IHC Garands dries up, import-marked carbines and IHCs will become more desirable rather than have no carbines or IHCs at all.

I'm sure during the WWII era, people didn't care for those steel pennies made to substitute for the copper pennies. But now, they are collectible items.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 AM

The barreled receiver is still useful, but only as a shooter - it's worth as a collector is not there, or at least, very minimal. It certainly should not be thrown in the dumpster.

I would disagree about the Silver Certificate comparison. Anything in "perfect" condition (or uncirculated) is going to be worth more than something in well-used condition, be it coins, paper money or guns!

(By the way, the pennies made in 1944-46 were largely made from shell cases returned from military use. A little-known fact)
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Just got my k98 tonight. It is an ar 42. Bolt matches itself and the rest of the gun matches itself. The bore is the nastiest I have ever seen on a surplus gun. It blackened patches as I sent them through. I am going to let it soak tonight and see if it has a decent bore.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM

So I rushed it. I checked the bore and went to town with a wire brush. It is long gone. Smooth bore sewer pipe. It is going back tomorrow. Don't they have Russian Capture P38's for 369.00?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM

I would disagree about the Silver Certificate comparison. Anything in "perfect" condition (or uncirculated) is going to be worth more than something in well-used condition, be it coins, paper money or guns!

You are correct, Rick, but I didn't say anything about the worth value. The perfect silver certificate surely is worth more than a frayed one but both have desirability. If you were given an opportunity to have both, would you only take the perfect one and leave behind the frayed one? Of course not, the former has more worth than the latter but the latter still has worth and worth is desirable!

Of course, if you had to only choose one, we know what you would choose because of its increased worth over the other.

But, you already implied (or expressed) my sporterized K98 has desireability to some degree to someone by saying not to throw it in the dumpster. So, as you said, it must have some worth but not as much as a perfect K98, I can't wait until midnight so my neighbors don't see me digging through the dumpster! Now which dumpster????? Think, Thomas!

Always good to read your comments and all your responses are welcomed and respected. Keep em coming to all of us.

(By the way, the pennies made in 1944-46 were largely made from shell cases returned from military use. A little-known fact)[/QUOTE]

That is an interesting fact I didn't know. My steel penny is dated 1943 so I guess it hasn't had any military experience! Just giving you a hard time, Rick! LOL