Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 AM

Question New guy from Utah

Hi everyone I just signed up for this forum, I've been reading some comments on here for a little while. I recently got a case of Garand fever from a coworker who has an excellent correct-collecter grade Garand he bought years back and fully restored from the DCM. It got me interested enough to start researching them and seriously consider buying one. I've always thought they were cool rifles with interesting history and I've always been interested in WWII. So I'd really like to get a WWII receiver dated Garand. (I'm not going to even bother trying to get a correct WWII as I know they are expensive but if at least the receiver and maybe a couple other parts were WWII that would be sweet) I was wondering if I could get some tips from those of you out there that know a lot more about purchasing and everything. I was initially looking at Gunbroker and Gunsamerica to find Garands and haven't completely ruled out buying from there yet as you at least get to look at what you're buying, BUT of course there's no mechanical garuntee and they can be pretty dang pricey! Ordering from the cmp certainly sounds better regarding having the grade certificate and piece of mind and the cheaper price tag. So I was looking at a Service grade SA with a note for a serial number below 3.4mil (or whatever it is I'd have to look again). But I'm really torn. I badly want a WWII receiver Garand. So much that if I were to get a post war rifle from the cmp I'd be pretty dang bummed. I know that the cmp tries to fill your order but it's kind of up to luck if the pallet their looking through has a WWII dated receiver. I heard field grades have a better chance of being WWII but they also sound pretty worn out. Anyone out their have a field grade and what do you think of it? I could buy a winchester field grade and of course be garunteed a WWII garand, but the winchester costs more in field grade than the SA in service grade! I'm still looking for other places online to try to buy one since having a WWII receiver is so important to me. I had heard in another thread that somewhere on this forum people may post cmp Garands they bought and are now selling. Can anyone help direct me to that location? I wouldn't mind buying from a forum member with a cmp garand either. Anyway I'm sure questions similar to mine pop up all the time but I'm having trouble navigating around to find the information I need on the internet and I thought I'd ask the forum veterans for help Thanks!

Oh sorry one more quick question-I noticed on gunbroker a refinished (or maybe it was reparkerized I don't know the difference) receiver. Does this decrease the value of the gun? I noticed too the cmp says their field grade rifles might be refinished?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Only 100% sure way short of buying from a member here is to buy the Winchester, watch the for sale add's they arent rare/ww11s.a.'s /and they go up for sale all the time,,a sticky on your buy paperwork to the cmp will only get you the ww11 date if it happens to be on top of the crate they are working

Last edited by deputy85; 07-18-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Welcome to the forum.

deputy is right. If you're serious about buying a particular dated Garand, post a want to buy ad here on the forum.

Also, before you spend the money, what are you after in a Garand? Do you just want it to shoot or primarily just to have a piece of history? Finding a WW2 serial number that is in good enough shape to shoot accurately will probably cost more than one that is not.

I wish you luck in finding what you're after.

sjames
Old 07-18-2012, 02:44 PM

Hey thank you guys for your replies and help! Where in the forum can I find ones for sale-is there a specific place people post classified or for sale guns? Also if I need to post a wanted-WWII Garand kind of post where is the proper place to post that? Sorry for the dumb questions :/

Well being that 30-06 ammo is pretty expensive and that the Garand only shoots military surplus variety I don't see myself doing a ton of shooting but I do like the idea of it being fairly accurate. I think a service grade WWII receiver Garand would satisfy. I will mostly be shooting my AR-15 because its cheaper and is pretty dang accurate. But Idk i don't want a clunker with no shooting potential ya know? So I guess the answer is a good combination of both. Not necessarily a tack driver but it should be fairly accurate (maybe ME <2 and TE <4 with some historical value) Sorry for the ramble but its hard to exactly describe just how accurate you need a gun to be. Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM

Here is where you look for a Garand:http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Welcome to the forum.

μολων λαβέ
NRA Life Member
Old 07-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerjager View Post
Here is where you look for a Garand:http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Welcome to the forum.
Awesome thanks for the help. I ended up finding the area and posted a wanted thread and have already gotten a couple people to contact me so hopefully I can find one soon. Is there anything I should be wary of buying off of the forum? Also I had a question for anyone that might know. I want to make sure I don't accidently buy a reweld garand. I know the sn and drawing number have to match up correctly. I was wondering if there is an online resource to do this. I do plan to get Scott Duff's book eventually but by the time I order that and everything I might already have a Garand. Is there a easier resource to get? Is it likely his book my be at say Barnes and Noble nearby or my local library? Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Tags
garand wwii sale service