Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM

Default Distinquished Pistol Shot questions.

I have finally achieved the Distinquished Rifleman, and now seek to get the Pistol Badge as well. But I have a few questions;
1) I would like to attend the initial pistol phase at Perry (CPO) I already have 4 points and I shoot the 1911A1 so I can skip the SAFS. I think thier is/was a phase for shooters who are no "new". What is up with that?

2) As a Service Rifle (SR) shooter who has been to CPO many times I am coaching "newbies", you need to be getting up NOW and doing so-and-so NOW, etc. as many of these people were behind the curve so-to-speak. They just do not know what to expect, and/or what is expected of them. Why at the end of the shooting day you (we) are so busy with our gear, etc. while they lie about and relax. They find out the next morning, and sadly they are behind the curve for the remainder of the day.

3) I would like to go to CPO twice this year, pistol, and CMP rifle. I would like to pal around with someone who can sort of show me the ropes of pistol competition. I really do not know any pistol shooters to assist me at all. Is thier someone who can help me out? I live in Richmond, VA. Any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Andy, anyone can shoot the SAFS pistol phase with the M9, but if they have points already or are already Distinguished, they don't count in the total when they hand out the 4 points. I suppose it might be a good thing to do, if you want some pointers on shooting pistol.

Not sure what question you're asking in number (2). Not sure yet if I'll be at Perry this year (number 3), but if I go with the Texas team, I'll let you know.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 AM

As I recall, last year they had some sort of "Advanced SAFS" for shooters who are not actually new to the sport. The Advanced is the one I would like to attend.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:23 PM

If you don't know him already, get hold of Dr Alan Toler in Richmond. He's Rifle, Pistol, and NRA Revolver Distinguished.

Alan is an optometrist who understands the unique requirements of the sport. And he can probably turn you on to some pistol events in the Richmond area.

If you're willing to drive a ways, Fairfax Rod and Gun Club just outside of Manassas holds several leg matches a year.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 PM

A well known local has offered to coach me on certain weekdays. I am imrpessed with his offer and very much look forward to it.

I have shot at some local matches with Dr Toler and may require his assistance with "vision issues" after I can work out some basic issues.

I have been reviewing the CMP "Mind Over Matter" CD set, and have gained some valuable insite.

Thanks for your help. Andy
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Wnet and shot my rebarreled 1911A1 this afternoon, at 25 yards on the regulation target. After I zeroed the pistol, I practiced many rounds slow fire and ate the center out of the target. Then I began to speed things up a bit, and predictably my groups opened up considerably. I an VERY happy to have switched from Bullseye to WST powder. After over 100 rounds the gun still looks unfired compared to Bullseye.

I am frustrated because I must not be aggressive enough applying the trigger. I can see my sight picture deteriorate as I apply pressure. Also lost a magazine follower today from one of my new magazines (expiltives deleted).

I seem to be the only one posting, so I quess I will just keep going with the updates.

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 PM

If possible, you need to practice your slow fires at 50 yards. That's where most points get lost during the Nat'l Match Course. Next, of course, is the rapid fire stage, because of the ten second time limit. If you can get that first shot off in rapid fire into the ten ring, the other four will follow along. If that first rapid fire shot sucks, you'll try and catch up and the rest will not be to your liking.

All I can say is you need to watch that front sight, apply constant pressure and hold it until the shot breaks and then follow through so you don't let the recoil spoil the shot.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:36 AM

I noticed this AM that my trigger seems to have some sork of tight spot in it that comes and goes. Kind of a tick. I will see if I can get that resolved this week. Thanks again, Andy
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Another thing that can cause a problem is that when you dry-fire, the trigger pull may be slightly different than when you have a magazine in the pistol. It's easy to forget that the trigger rails run on either side of the magazine. If the mag is oversize slightly, it can drag the rails and change how your trigger feels. That's why you'll see some mags that have been steel-wooled to make them a little smoother.

You also need to make sure the channel where the rails fit is clean and lubed slightly. That may be where your little hiccup is coming from on the trigger.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
Another thing that can cause a problem is that when you dry-fire, the trigger pull may be slightly different than when you have a magazine in the pistol. It's easy to forget that the trigger rails run on either side of the magazine. If the mag is oversize slightly, it can drag the rails and change how your trigger feels. That's why you'll see some mags that have been steel-wooled to make them a little smoother.

You also need to make sure the channel where the rails fit is clean and lubed slightly. That may be where your little hiccup is coming from on the trigger.

Thanks CDRT, I will check it out tonight. It is these little things that can screw you up, and you have no idea about what the problem may be. Thanks again, Andy