Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:09 AM

Cool

My God.....Seriously? you actually didn't know you were buying a reproduction 1903A3 reactivated drill rifle that would probably have many reproduction parts on it. From AIM, or from SARCO, or from GIBBS, or from Creedmoor or from just about any of those like companies. Sir, all the rifles the above companies sell are reactivated drill rifles. Anyone who has told you different or has said on any other Forum to the contrary was either a salesman for the company or had no clue as to what they bought.

This topic has been discussed so many times on this Forum it's hardly worth discussing again. I repeat, all they sell are reactivated drill rifles with commercial stocks, many commercial reproduction parts and were formerly drill rifle receivers that had the barrel welded on and the cutoffs welded. You may also find that the areas where the welds were have a painted on finish since parkerizing will not stick to the cleaned up welded areas.

Someone else said here,"Aim has never made it a secret that these are Gibbs rifles and are reactivated drills." That is just not true. They essentially lie by omission of the real facts in their ads and descriptions, which, by the way, by any definition, is keeping a dirty little secret.

Here is their description of the rifle right from their Website:

"Springfield 1903 A3 30.06 caliber bolt actions Rifles. Each has been professionally refurbished utilizing brand new modern US production 4-groove barrels, Original U. S. Smith Corona or Remington Receivers and fitted with walnut stocks. Collectors, here is your chance to own a beautiful and important piece of American Military History. These are not the low serial number rifles. While supplies last."

Does anyone see any mention or disclosure that the rifle is a reactivated drill rifle? Does that description reek of some of the stories being told on GunBroker about GI bring backs and the likes or what?

Hell they don't even know that there is no such thing as a "Springfield 1903A3". That should have told you something right away.

JamesD, honestly, to be blunt, if you didn't do your research BEFORE you made the purchase you have no one to blame but yourself. This topic has been discussed on every vintage rifle Forum in existence many times. A simple Google search "AIM 1903A3 rifles" would have told you EXACTLY what you were getting ready to buy. Type that in Google and you get 100's of hits explaining it all. As such, I have a real tough time being sympathetic to your cause. You got what you paid for and, it might actually be a really good shooter if you got lucky. But, the fact actually is that most have serious stock and metal fit problems that make them lousy shooters and need copious amounts of fitting to shoot decent groups.

A hard and fast rule discussed around here often is to "buy the rifle, not the story". You bought the story blindly and never even opened the book (Google) telling you 1000 times over about the rifle you were getting ready to buy. You are the victim of a marketing scam created by a description that is incomplete and purposefully designed to deceive by omission of the most important fact that would hurt sales. That what they are selling are former welded drill rifles.

Larry
Old 04-06-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
My God.....Seriously? you actually didn't know you were buying a reproduction 1903A3 reactivated drill rifle that would probably have many reproduction parts on it. From AIM, or from SARCO, or from GIBBS, or from Creedmoor or from just about any of those like companies. Sir, all the rifles the above companies sell are reactivated drill rifles. Anyone who has told you different or has said on any other Forum to the contrary was either a salesman for the company or had no clue as to what they bought.

This topic has been discussed so many times on this Forum it's hardly worth discussing again. I repeat, all they sell are reactivated drill rifles with commercial stocks, many commercial reproduction parts and were formerly drill rifle receivers that had the barrel welded on and the cutoffs welded. You may also find that the areas where the welds were have a painted on finish since parkerizing will not stick to the cleaned up welded areas.

Someone else said here,"Aim has never made it a secret that these are Gibbs rifles and are reactivated drills." That is just not true. They essentially lie by omission of the real facts in their ads and descriptions, which, by the way, by any definition, is keeping a dirty little secret.

Here is their description of the rifle right from their Website:

"Springfield 1903 A3 30.06 caliber bolt actions Rifles. Each has been professionally refurbished utilizing brand new modern US production 4-groove barrels, Original U. S. Smith Corona or Remington Receivers and fitted with walnut stocks. Collectors, here is your chance to own a beautiful and important piece of American Military History. These are not the low serial number rifles. While supplies last."

Does anyone see any mention or disclosure that the rifle is a reactivated drill rifle? Does that description reek of some of the stories being told on GunBroker about GI bring backs and the likes or what?

Hell they don't even know that there is no such thing as a "Springfield 1903A3". That should have told you something right away.

JamesD, honestly, to be blunt, if you didn't do your research BEFORE you made the purchase you have no one to blame but yourself. This topic has been discussed on every vintage rifle Forum in existence many times. A simple Google search "AIM 1903A3 rifles" would have told you EXACTLY what you were getting ready to buy. Type that in Google and you get 100's of hits explaining it all. As such, I have a real tough time being sympathetic to your cause. You got what you paid for and, it might actually be a really good shooter if you got lucky. But, the fact actually is that most have serious stock and metal fit problems that make them lousy shooters and need copious amounts of fitting to shoot decent groups.

A hard and fast rule discussed around here often is to "buy the rifle, not the story". You bought the story blindly and never even opened the book (Google) telling you 1000 times over about the rifle you were getting ready to buy. You are the victim of a marketing scam created by a description that is incomplete and purposefully designed to deceive by omission of the most important fact that would hurt sales. That what they are selling are former welded drill rifles.

Larry
First of all I did search the internet and I got both stories that they are old drill receivers and they weren't old drill receivers. Also I cannot tell you how many people stated these rifles were built by this company or that company so I did not have a straight answer. Second, you cannot search three letter words on this forum so searching for "AIM" does not work or searching for "m1903A3", "1903A3" or "surplus" brings up tons of hits so excuse me for missing it. Like I said, I have been reading conflicting stories on these rifles. I did not buy this as a collectible war relic, just something that was in decent shape and shoots well but I certainly did not expect a welded receiver for the money I paid. If the rifle was $300 you would not be reading this.

James
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 AM

I would contact them and see what they have to say. Thier return policy is tough, but designed to make the buyer really think twice about a return. I almost bought one of these a few years ago. But at the time, I had called them. They said rifles were from a number of sources, some former drill rifles. Only thing they could say would be USGI was the reciever. Based on that, I stayed clear.

If it were me, I would call and see if they would waive the 15% restocking fee. If they refuse, I would send it back. It will only be a $150 mistake vs $850. I would also make sure they got thier moneys worth and I would spread the message far and wide. Not everybody lives on the Milsurp boards and Im sure there are plenty of folks who would benefit from your experience.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
First of all I did search the internet and I got both stories that they are old drill receivers and they weren't old drill receivers. Also I cannot tell you how many people stated these rifles were built by this company or that company so I did not have a straight answer. Second, you cannot search three letter words on this forum so searching for "AIM" does not work or searching for "m1903A3", "1903A3" or "surplus" brings up tons of hits so excuse me for missing it. Like I said, I have been reading conflicting stories on these rifles. I did not buy this as a collectible war relic, just something that was in decent shape and shoots well but I certainly did not expect a welded receiver for the money I paid. If the rifle was $300 you would not be reading this.

James
If you read conflicting information on the 'net, WHY didn't you contact AIM directly BEFORE buying?

I have to say I'm with Larry on this one.

"Life is Good!"
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 AM

+1 with larry on this.

I was looking myself but with so much conflicting info and the high price you are much better off buying from a board member.

Get them on the phone be professional and get to a decision maker. Best of luck.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 AM

Default wow...

Wow.....tuff group on here this a.m. Me thinketh less coffee would be a good idea.

JamesD appears to have made a mistake......let's don't make it worse for him. Gently ADVISE (as you have done) to 'bite the bullet and send back, learn from this experience, try to investigate more before jumping. The pile on doesn't help the situation.

Take the 15% and 3% cut JamesD....and keep an eye for one on this forum.

JMHO
Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Or he could just keep it and shoot it. Chances are very good that it will shoot as well as any "PURE" 1903A3 and very possibly better.
They are not welded receivers.
They are recovered drill rifles that had the cut-off and barrel tacked in place.
You cannot build a rifle from parts(even if you use a recovered receiver) for the price that Gibbs, RockRidge,Creedmoor or Aim are selling these for.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Although Larry's being a bit of a d-bag about it he's right. As a consumer it was up to you to do your due deligence prior to the purchase, "caveat emptor". The subject of these rifles has been covered many times since their introduction and the information is out there and not hard to find. You did a bit of searching and found a 50/50 response. You had an itch for the rifle and decided to interperate that information to suit your needs. Hey, we've all been there. Accusing AIM of anything underhanded is simply barking up the wrong tree. They offered the product for sale and you decided to buy it. Nothing in the product description is false and is within the letter of the law. The product doesn't meet your expectations, no surprise there. Keep it and shoot it or return it and take a small lose instead of a big one. Either way chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post

Looks like the barrel index is slightly off. Does not take much.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesvb View Post
You cannot build a rifle from parts(even if you use a recovered receiver) for the price that Gibbs, RockRidge,Creedmoor or Aim are selling these for.
Sure you can. Here is my current project:

Hack job sporterized SC1903A3: $175
CMP Barrel: $189.95
C stock set: $164.95
Stock metal from Sarco: $49.95
NOS Rear sight: $27 shipped from Ebay from a guy in Greece
NOS front sight assembly: $25 also from Ebay

So, if I were building this as a M1903A3, my total for parts would be $631.85, shipping chargs will add maybe $50 to the total. I know a gun smith who charges $90 to install and headspace a barrel, so my total for this build would be about $771.

Yes, the stock will need to be fitted to the gun, but that happens any time you put new wood on one of these rifles. Yes, some of the stock metal parts are likely repops, but who cares as long as they fit and function, this is a shooter, not a collector gun. My build is going to be a 1903A4fery, so I have some other stuff going on, but you get the idea. Anyways, scrounging for the win!

Oh, and +1 for what Larry said. I was thinking it, but I was trying to be a bit more diplomatic.

JamesD - This has happened to all of us at one time or another. We weren't all born experts at milsurp collecting. We've all made mistakes, we've all been taken to the cleaners once or twice. It's just another learning experience on the road of milsurp collecting.

Matt