Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM

Default 1st Time @ National Matches - Few Remaining Questions

This will be my first time firing in the national matches. I'm registered to shoot in the evening since I wasn't sure if I would even be able (new baby on the way very soon). I've read a lot of the first timers tips on here and they have been great. I'm supposed to shoot from 5-8pm.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to get there really early?
2. Where do I report?
3. How do I transport rifle from parking area to range area safely?
4. Do you take your gear with you from range to pits?
5. Since I am shooting the last leg, will I have to work pits?
6. Lastly, I am only able to shoot ranges around here @ 100 yards. My garand is shooting very well @ 100 yards. I might, I might not be able to shoot at 200 before I come. To adjust the rear sight I would come up 2 clicks for 200 yards correct? Hopefully this would be me close enough for my 5 sighters.
7. Will we receive a packet in the mail before hand with instructions or directions on where to go?

Thanks for all your help and look forward to meeting many of you,

Matt
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM

See RED below;

Quote:
1. Do I need to get there really early? I'd say 1.5 to 2 hrs before Match. You'll need to be squadded for a relay.
2. Where do I report? Check-in at CMP trailer, easy to see. Also might want to get your rifle(s) checked, trigger weighed. give yourself more time for this.
3. How do I transport rifle from parking area to range area safely? OBI intact in chamber, muzzle up or down only, better if lashed to cart if you have one.
4. Do you take your gear with you from range to pits? NO, though you may want to take water/snack(s) in a small cooler.
5. Since I am shooting the last leg, will I have to work pits? You have to work the pits no matter what. DO NOT SHIRK THIS RESPONSIBILITY!!! You will screw the competitor(s) on your firing line and you'll be D'QD.
6. Lastly, I am only able to shoot ranges around here @ 100 yards. My garand is shooting very well @ 100 yards. I might, I might not be able to shoot at 200 before I come. To adjust the rear sight I would come up 2 clicks for 200 yards correct? Hopefully this would be me close enough for my 5 sighters. Your M1 is calibrated for elevation clicks with Ball ammo. Set it now at the "100" indicator without changing your elevation setting and then at the Match, to start with sighters, set it to "200".
7. Will we receive a packet in the mail before hand with instructions or directions on where to go? Nope, you get that at the CMP Registration Trailer. So you have to "register (check-in)' at the trailer, then immediately before the Match, out close to the Ready Line, you 'll need to be squadded on a Relay, okay?

Last edited by 3StrikesNC; 07-23-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM

(1) Yes.
(2) For registration, report to the Armory building on the right on the main road onto the post. On match day, report to your assigned firing point. The Games at the Nationals only weigh triggers either by lottery or gold medal. The regular matches, you'll have to do that the day before.
(3) As 3StrikesNC suggested. 5-8 PM? Are you sure? You are talking about Camp Perry, right?
(4) You can - and some do - take your rifle. I usually bring a chair.
(5) Definitely as 3Strikes NC suggested. That and work to give good pit service. Keep it below 7 seconds.
(6) 2 clicks up from your 100.
(7) You'll get your registration packet when you register at the Bataan Armory building. You will need to fill out a post locator form in line and hand it to the Guardsman on the way in.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHunt! View Post
This will be my first time firing in the national matches. I'm registered to shoot in the evening since I wasn't sure if I would even be able (new baby on the way very soon). I've read a lot of the first timers tips on here and they have been great. I'm supposed to shoot from 5-8pm.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to get there really early?
Yes to get your packet and such
2. Where do I report?
The "arcade" to "register" and the sqadding tent on the range to shoot
3. How do I transport rifle from parking area to range area safely?
I carry mine in a soft case i've seen people carry them on their carts with EIC inserted
4. Do you take your gear with you from range to pits?
I leave most of mine on the assembly line i bring a camelbac with my "pit stuff" with me
5. Since I am shooting the last leg, will I have to work pits?
Yes
6. Lastly, I am only able to shoot ranges around here @ 100 yards. My garand is shooting very well @ 100 yards. I might, I might not be able to shoot at 200 before I come. To adjust the rear sight I would come up 2 clicks for 200 yards correct? Hopefully this would be me close enough for my 5 sighters.
That exactly what i do
7. Will we receive a packet in the mail before hand with instructions or directions on where to go?

no they give you that when you check in

Thanks for all your help and look forward to meeting many of you,

Matt
Hope this helps... i've only been there once so perhaps some of the more experienced shooters with jump in
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM

BowHunt!,
I suspect you mean relays 5-8 right? Also, are we talking about the JCG match?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Thanks for a few corrections to my answers guys, I got it slightly confused with the Eastern Games (Armory Building on right vs. Trailer).

Except for Hearst & VS, trigger weighing is done only on Gold Medal scores, I think (in rule book). We've gotten ours weighed-in at the CMP trailer anyway though. Good thing, when I went to get my medal last year, Leon wanted to D'Q my Carbine after I shot Gold .... of course it was just some of that "good-ole'-boy southern humor" that Leon's famous for, but man you should have seen the guy next to me!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM

How early should you get there for the other matches, like if Im scheduled for the am relays for the springfield,carbine,garand etc...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Couple more questions now:

1. What time do you recommend me getting there if I'm firing in the JCG match 5-8 relays? Is it better to come really early to watch or follow people around to learn
2. How do the relays work exactly?
3. How much ammunition do you typically bring? Just enough for match/sighters?
4. Do I have to get my rifle checked before I compete in the JCG match?
5. Will I be working a target by myself since it's my first time? This one has me nervous for some reason.
6. When shooting, do the pits mark the targets so you can see your targets hits from 200 without a spotting scope? I don't have one yet, but can you bring binoculars?

Sorry about the additional questions, but it all seems so overwhelming at this point. I've tried to read up as much as I can on the forum here and practice getting into my firing positions. Like I said, I'm so excited to shoot, but since I've never experienced the matches before I'm a little nervous.

Matt

Last edited by BowHunt!; 07-23-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHunt! View Post
Couple more questions now:

1. What time do you recommend me getting there if I'm firing in the JCG match 5-8 relays? Is it better to come really early to watch or follow people around to learn
2. How do the relays work exactly?
3. How much ammunition do you typically bring? Just enough for match/sighters?
4. Do I have to get my rifle checked before I compete in the JCG match?
5. Will I be working a target by myself since it's my first time? This one has me nervous for some reason.
6. When shooting, do the pits mark the targets so you can see your targets hits from 200 without a spotting scope? I don't have one yet, but can you bring binoculars?

Sorry about the additional questions, but it all seems so overwhelming at this point. I've tried to read up as much as I can on the forum here and practice getting into my firing positions. Like I said, I'm so excited to shoot, but since I've never experienced the matches before I'm a little nervous.

Matt
(1) You'll have to register. You MIGHT be able to do that morning of. You won't be able to follow around the morning relays.
(2) 1 relay will shoot, one relay will be getting ready to shoot, one relay will be in the assembly area, another relay will be scoring and the other two will be in the pits. Lather, rinse, repeat.
(3) Enough for two matches, usually. Although, there's no alibis in the Games.
(4) No.
(5) No.
(6) Yes. If your relay gets scoring duty, you will need something to see with.

You mentioned previously you were a long range competitive shooter, didn't you? Matches 1000 yards to a mile? LR uses much of the same equipment (spotting scopes, gloves, coats).
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmccoy View Post
How early should you get there for the other matches, like if Im scheduled for the am relays for the springfield,carbine,garand etc...
You'll need to register the day before, definitely. Try to get to your firing point at dawn. Colors is at 7.