Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM

Good grief is right! BowHunt!, listen to Ceresco and I hope this helps:
Your first stop will be the Welcome Center. You will complete a post locator form and an eligibility affidavit if you don't have one on file. You will also receive a Welcome Packet, competitor labels and scorecard. I can't say how long that will take but allow enough time to be downrange to stand in line at the squadding tent. Keep in mind it's a bit of a hike from the Welcome Center to the 200 yard line on the Viale Range. There you will be assigned a relay and a firing point. You may want to mention to the ladies that you're a new competitor and maybe they can pair you up with an experienced shooter. Now you should have some down time. Ask questions, watch the activity and ask more questions. Most will be more than happy to help.
When the time comes relay 5 will be called to the firing line and relay 6 will take positions as scorers. Relays 7 and 8 report to the pits; that's two competitors per target. As a scorer you will have to be able to see the shot markers, the value disc and the chalkboard clearly enough to properly score your shooter. Bring scope or at least binoculars and know the scoring system beforehand. Relays 5 and 6 then switch off. When they are done there is a pit change. Relays 5 and 6 report for target pulling and relays 7 and 8 shoot/score.
Bring spare rounds. I bring enough to re-shoot a string if that becomes necessary and for what-if.
Rifle inspection is not required for the Games Matches. Random checks do occur however, and all gold medal winning rifles have to be checked after the match.

Last edited by 303guy; 07-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:31 PM

at the risk of being self promoting ... I wrote a blog post about my first trip with a step by step of what it was like. It might be helpful. I know i like to know what I'm going to do next step by step and it was giving me anxiety not to know

http://garandthumb.com/camp-perry-na...-how-it-works/
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Another thing to consider is that --- as it appears you live relatively close to Camp Perry --- that you could wander over there and do you in-processing earlier in the week. You can do it anytime that they're open. (The schedule is here: http://www.odcmp.com/NM/IPSchedule.pdf .)

There will be a big rush when everybody arrives for the highpower matches, and another big rush when everybody comes in for the Games matches. But I bet if you go in Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday after the matches get underway, you'll sail through.

That could save you sitting in line and worrying about being late on the the day of the match. You'll still have to get to the range in time to get your squadding, but you'll at least have one thing out of the way.