Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM

Default 1903A1 National Match

A couple of months ago I saw a 1903 rifle on auction, billed as a National Match model. It looked right and I requested a serial number check on it. RedSpecial came back with a hit from the SRS...1903A1NM DCM sale, 9/12/1938. Based on Red's reply, I went ahead and put a bid in on it. I hadn't heard anything back from the auction house, so I assumed I hadn't won.

Friday they called and advised that I had won the NM rifle and another rifle that I had also put a bid in on. There were a limited number of pics and description.

Description advised as follows...

A .30-06 ‘MODEL 1903 A1 NATIONAL MATCH’ BOLT-MAGAZINE SERVICE RIFLE, serial no. 1402726, 24in. barrel with blade fore-sight and tangent rear sights to 2850 yards, the muzzle with ‘S.A’ over the ordnance bomb and '1-38’, receiver marked ‘U.S. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MODEL 1903. 1402726’, polished bolt marked ‘N.S.’ and etched with the serial number, pistolgrip stock with sling swivels and chequered steel buttplate with trap

I know that better pics and description would be required to determine what the going rate would be for this rifle and whether I got a good deal on it or not, but does anyone have any thoughts?

What should I look for when it arrives to determine how original it is?

Last edited by Calfed; 08-07-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:27 PM

Well what did you end up paying? That will help determine whether its a good deal!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 PM

I don't want to prejudice anyone's opinion yet.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:31 PM

The barrel date is quite a bit later than the action but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Check for Star gauge stamps, also check for the coarse checkered butt plate. Should have the serrated trigger and possibly CV marked firing pin, extractor etc. Stock should have S stamp in the cutoff notch and the rifle serial number should be stamped in the bottom of the stock ahead of the lower swivel along with the drawing number. Careful when cleaning, they also treated the rear sight base (collar) on the top half with a flat black tar looking coating. This can be inadvertently removed if you're not careful.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 AM

I don't know if it is original, for a later rifle, but that high hump handguard looks nice on a prewar C stock. Nice rifle!

Mike
Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
The barrel date is quite a bit later than the action but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Check for Star gauge stamps, also check for the coarse checkered butt plate. Should have the serrated trigger and possibly CV marked firing pin, extractor etc. Stock should have S stamp in the cutoff notch and the rifle serial number should be stamped in the bottom of the stock ahead of the lower swivel along with the drawing number. Careful when cleaning, they also treated the rear sight base (collar) on the top half with a flat black tar looking coating. This can be inadvertently removed if you're not careful.
Thanks, Randy! I'll give it the once over when it arrives at my FFL. Unfortunately, Cali has a 10-day "cooling off" period, so it will be a few weeks before I can take pics.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I don't know if it is original, for a later rifle, but that high hump handguard looks nice on a prewar C stock. Nice rifle!

Mike
Thanks, Mike. I'm not sure about that either, but also thought it looked nice.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:41 AM

NM rifles of the mid-late 30s may had polished raceways as well as bolts. The surface of the rear sight also should be polished. You need to look for everything that elevates the rifle above a standard issue 1903A1. Without that list, which should be relatively large, you can't argue the rifle to be anything other than a standard issue and possibly owner reworked A1. Ask the seller about the star guage, that's where I would start.

Last edited by S99VG; 08-07-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
NM rifles of the mid-late 30s may had polished raceways as well as bolts. The surface of the rear sight also should be polished. You need to look for everything that elevates the rifle above a standard issue 1903A1. Without that list, which should be relatively large, you can't argue the rifle to be anything other than a standard issue and possibly owner reworked A1. Ask the seller about the star guage, that's where I would start.

Well, I've already confirmed that it was sold 9/12/38 by the DCM as a National Match rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
It looked right and I requested a serial number check on it. RedSpecial came back with a hit from the SRS...1903A1NM DCM sale, 9/12/1938.
I'm wondering if it is still in NM configuration and original as sold.

Last edited by Calfed; 08-07-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Your rifle has a beautiful custom reproduction stock.

Thanks for sharing!

J.B.