Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
Can you share how to find a welder to do this kind of metal repair? Will the TIG weld when ground smooth hold a blued or parkerized finish?

I also have a Milled AK Type 3 receiver that has the rear sling slot on the receiver and I need that welded up as my AK kit I need to build is one of the kbz wz.60 Polish Grenade Launching AKs. I have spent years getting a full collection of the practice grenades but never fixed the receiver to do the build.

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about welding new metal in once the deep weld damage is cleaned up.
That's tricky. In not a machinist or metallurgist so don't quote me on any of this. I had one guy who proclaimed to be God's gift to F class rifle building tell me that the heat treatment will be compromised after a small Tig weld and the receiver is a time bomb. I call BS. Yes it may change the temper in the area of the repair but none of that is structural. I litteraly googled metal shops and the first guy I talked to said sure. Now I can't blame the first guy for not wanting to do the job. But I also think he is being very extreme. I'm not the first person to do this. All the new manufacturer A4s you see for sale are made from the drill rifles from the old CMP junk auction.

As far as it parkerizing, yes if it's not stainless steel, it will parkerizer. Will it be an exact match. Probably not. Will it look better than blackening the stainless with casewells, probably. Here is before and afters of mine. Mine looked about like your Z before I started. I need to get a picture in better light. The repair is a little more noticeable in better light. But I was very happy with the results. Worst case. You try it, it looks aweful. You grind out the garbage and jb weld it and shoot it with paint

Drill rifle reactivation https://imgur.com/gallery/SQNmk
Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 PM

There is no structural issue to tig welding around the rear cutoff. There is no pressure containing surface there. The only issue would be if someone got exceptionally heavy handed around the front ring. That might cause an issue.

I’ve been lucky that I have a guy who does excellent tig welding and does what I ask him. He trusts me to know the risks and I trust him to do good work. So far he hasn’t disappointed me on any of my 1903 weld-ups.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:12 PM

Received my $200.00 drill rifle on Thursday and just finished removing the barrel and cutoff. The cutoff took some effort because the spot weld also welded the cutoff spindle to the cutoff. I ended up cutting the cutoff in half to remove it. Surprisingly, after making relief cuts on the barrel/receiver connection, the barrel came off with absolute minimal effort. Took almost 30 seconds after I applied pressure. All hardware, including the front sight base, also came off with minimal effort. The stock & hand guard are also in very good condition with normal wear and tear on the stock. All in all, one of my better drill rifles.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:56 PM

I did my better gun today, took an hour but I was being extra careful and went slow. I need to remove the barrel still as I have an 03 action wrench and barrel vice on the way from Brownells but that weld is ready.

Quick question - how do you remove the rear sight wings? Mine has two serious stakes and I was hitting it pretty hard but it didn’t budge. In my case I want to build an A4 clone so if I destroy the sight no major loss but it is in nice shape so I’d like to rescue it if I can!

Oh yea, mine talked to me today too! There was some sand in the oiler compartment of the stock and I couldn’t help but wonder just where the old girl had been and seen!

Last edited by Quarterbore; 03-31-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:49 PM

My front sight base used a bigger pin than the blade pin. A 3/32 pin punch knocked it out in a jiffy. I then use a block of wood to knock the base off of the rifle and then used hobby pliers to remove the key. I also sprayed PB Blaster on both the barrel threads and the front sight and let them set overnight before removing them. Hope your barrel comes off as easy as mine did and don't forget to use the relief cuts. They really seem to help a lot.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:25 PM

It's just 2 stakes and no set screw?
Old 03-31-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I did my better gun today, took an hour but I was being extra careful and went slow. I need to remove the barrel still as I have an 03 action wrench and barrel vice on the way from Brownells but that weld is ready.

Quick question - how do you remove the rear sight wings? Mine has two serious stakes and I was hitting it pretty hard but it didnít budge. In my case I want to build an A4 clone so if I destroy the sight no major loss but it is in nice shape so Iíd like to rescue it if I can!

Oh yea, mine talked to me today too! There was some sand in the oiler compartment of the stock and I couldnít help but wonder just where the old girl had been and seen!
Mine had the same. Drill the stakes from the top with the rest of the sight removed. I used a 3/16 bit and went slowly checking often. Only go until you almost touch the receiver then the weakened stakes will let you drive it off.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Quick question - how do you remove the rear sight wings? Mine has two serious stakes and I was hitting it pretty hard but it didn’t budge. In my case I want to build an A4 clone so if I destroy the sight no major loss but it is in nice shape so I’d like to rescue it if I can!
I just put a block of wood down low on the left and smack it till it goes after I release the set screw,it's More solid at the bottom.,never really had to deal with staked base?.

Last edited by Prince Humperdink; 03-31-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Quick question - how do you remove the rear sight wings? Mine has two serious stakes and I was hitting it pretty hard but it didn’t budge.
And don't forget the rear sight comes off left to right....
Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM

I turned the receiver upside down and placed the sight in the vise and used a brass punch on the receiver. Basically drifting the receiver off of the sight.