Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks, folks. I reread my post, and it may have not portrayed the solemn tone I was looking after; really just inquisitive. The tongue-in-cheek cricket comment was meant to be just that, so thanks again for overlooking what could've been misconstrued in tone.

Given the responses, it still feels to me that a lot of supposedly-reported near-present failures have been mostly conjecture. Still no real evidence, I guess, regardless of reporting methodology.

Bob, most of those failures are not M1903s (?)

Just a little skeptical (like the risk factor behind many things). How much will your normal range eye protection, well, protect a shooter, anyway?

Thanks.

Edit: found the aforementioned failure:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2&postcount=19

Alright, that's ONE data point. It's a good one, but it's still only one.

Last edited by iomatic; 12-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Well, I took one for the team. Fired about 20 in my LN. No problems. Shoots straight!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
Thanks, folks. I reread my post, and it may have not portrayed the solemn tone I was looking after; really just inquisitive. The tongue-in-cheek cricket comment was meant to be just that, so thanks again for overlooking what could've been misconstrued in tone.

Given the responses, it still feels to me that a lot of supposedly-reported near-present failures have been mostly conjecture. Still no real evidence, I guess, regardless of reporting methodology
They failed in the past, and for known reasons. Don't you believe it? Do you think those incidents didn't really happen? Or because those incidents didn't happen recently, they don't really count?

So ask yourself, what has changed since then? The steel is just as brittle now as it was then, that hasn't changed.

Quote:
Alright, that's ONE data point. It's a good one, but it's still only one.
What is the minimum number of rifles that need to be destroyed before you will concede that the fundamental problem hasn't changed in the past 95 years?

If you want to shoot a low number M1903, go ahead. You don't need anyone's permission. As long as you can guarantee your brass won't fail and you will never shoot an overcharged round you will probably be fine. If you do have an unexpected event, as long as you have good eye protection you probably will have only minor injuries. Although shooting is not risk-free, I prefer to shoot rifles that don't have question marks hanging over them, since there are plenty - plenty - of those question-free rifles around, for a reasonable cost, but that's just me.

EDIT TO ADD: I was writing my post when you posted this:

Quote:
Well, I took one for the team. Fired about 20 in my LN. No problems. Shoots straight!
Good for you! They didn't blow up most of the time they were fired in the 1920s either. I still won't shoot my low-number M1903.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 12-30-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Hey, I totally understand that the LN M1903s are a known quantity, and mitigating risk is a SMART thing. I was never known, though, to do the smart thing.

In the end, as others have said before, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! Even though there may be close to none.

I just don't have the extra scratch for another shooter (that of course, is not too mix-mastered).

Last edited by iomatic; 12-31-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:58 AM

Default Pictures

I have always wondered about the above picture of broken LN receivers. How does hitting the receiver rails with a hammer show anything. Why didnt they hit the receiver ring. Seems to me just about any bolt action would distort ,bend or break if you hit the rails.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughUno View Post
apologies for not answering the question.

a no brainer and very accurate load is some variation of CE Wilson's "the Load" of 13 grains of Red Dot. I use 14.5-15.0 (best I recall) with 150-168+ and the rifle is about as loud as a .22 mag. It impacts 1 foot low, so crank up the rear sight accordingly. It is also exceedingly accurate and RD is bulky enough so a double-charge will flow out of the case mouth (not that I don't eyeball every round first).
I have shot this load in my 03A3. It has about as much recoil as a BB gun and is fun to shoot, especially if you have younger children.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8milimeter View Post
I have always wondered about the above picture of broken LN receivers. How does hitting the receiver rails with a hammer show anything. Why didnt they hit the receiver ring. Seems to me just about any bolt action would distort ,bend or break if you hit the rails.

Try it with any other similar bolt action rifle you have. Hit the side rail once with a hammer. It won't shatter. If you hit enough it will bend but not shatter.

Check out the pictures in this thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=61377

One LN receiver shattered while the barrel was being removed, the other LN receiver shattered when it dropped onto the floor.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:06 PM

You can always shoot these or Guard cartridges.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
Try it with any other similar bolt action rifle you have. Hit the side rail once with a hammer. It won't shatter. If you hit enough it will bend but not shatter.

Check out the pictures in this thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=61377

One LN receiver shattered while the barrel was being removed, the other LN receiver shattered when it dropped onto the floor.
you can swallow all of Ed Hicks' tale or not.

I had several low number 1903 receivers broken out of several hundred that went through my store, both drill and fully functional rifles.

what was Ed doing to the HUNDREDS of LN rifles that caused him to destroy "several" receivers?

I suspect carelessly "salvaging" barrels is the answer. Likewise, if a receiver (alone) broke (big 'if' BTW) when he "dropped" it, it must have been AFTER he had already wranked the barrel off the the thing. The fall may have simply finished the thing off (i.e. it was already damaged from the negligent barrel removal).'

the (insurmountable) problem with this "LN rifles will kill/blind/main you" stuff is that it NEVER actually happens (at least not since the 1930's--LOL)

Last edited by HughUno; 12-31-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Can I get more info on the headspace issue (is that part of the reason the cases 'blow' and subsequently break brittle receivers)?

Like, what are the tolerance ranges, what occurs, etc.? A FAQ?

Or is that a totally different issue?

Thanks.