Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 PM

I think you make a valid point, and I don't disagree from a collecting value standpoint. Heck, I'm tempted to give it another try. But, for some reason, I can't bring myself to fill up valuable safe space for a gun I won't shoot, even if it is a piece of history. Part of my attraction to collecting historical firearms is that I can actually relive part of their history by shooting them. I make an exception for a worn out old Colt New Army & Navy double action revolver that's been in my family for over 100 years. It sits in the safe next to an Ames cavalry saber that's been in the family even longer. But I digress. I look forward to good reports on these, from the sidelines. My luck of the draw just was poor, I guess.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Good points also. I still think that all of these can be shot, it's just a matter of how well you want them to shoot. I'm with you on gun safe space and do have a hard time putting a K98 in the safe in place of an M1.

Last edited by drwitte; 07-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallagan View Post
Just called Tuesday 1030 MST, still available with hand-picked option ($10). We'll see what we get, but I agree, soon this will be "the good old days" when you could get a K98 for $300.
The "hand picked" option brought me two truely crappy rifles.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:25 PM

I don't ever pay for hand picked and have always received something decent or better. One out of my three K98s from the first round has a bad barrel with pitting but I can sell it easily for $100 more than I paid for it. Apparently these "crappy rifles" are still worth something to the collectors out there.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwitte View Post
Where do you live MiDodgeguy? I'd be glad to purchase a K98 for you if you were in my state. Maybe somebody else out there in the same state can get one for you.
I'm in Michigan.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM

I'm satisfied with my RC K98. May not be collectible, but it is a great shooter and looks good IMHO.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

I have 2 russian captures that i bought from classic arms many many years ago, look good and shoot good sharp markings, just the russian reblue that i dont like ,the old original finish as on these from sog look more original
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM

Why throw the dice on what may be a "truly crappy rifle" when for $100 more one can get a nicely set-up Mitchell's K98?

And no, I'm not trying to be funny--
Old 07-27-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock View Post
Why throw the dice on what may be a "truly crappy rifle" when for $100 more one can get a nicely set-up Mitchell's K98?

Because Mitchell's are fakes. I wouldn't give that company a single penny.

I love my K98 RC I got for $400 a few years ago. Also came with a bayonet and German Belt buckle. haha.

Its a 1937 S/27 code receiver. I believe only about 99,000 were made.

http://m1family.com
The M1 Carbine dedicated forum!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polock View Post

Mitchell's might make good shooters but they are worth $0 in the collecting world. I will definitely "roll" the dice for an original, with original finish, that will be a collectible regardless and possibly a good shooter.