Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 06:41 AM

Default New from Michigan

Hi All!
Looking to become a new M1 owner to add to my collection of WW2 rifles (started with a $100 Mosin Nagant, then upgraded to a more expensive K98 Mauser).
The obvious next upgrade will be to a Garand M1.
I spoke with the guys at the Ohio store, and they mentioned a new shipment of Winchester WIN-13's just came in, and I'm thinking of making the drive next week after the holiday.
Not too familiar with them, or why they're so sought-after.
Any insights? Would this be a good example to get my feet wet into M1's?
Would the extra $170 for a Service Grade WIN-13 be worth it, over a SG HRA, etc?

Thanks - looking forward to you expert inputs!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM

Welcome to the gang.... Great bunch of people here!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Welcome to the forum.

μολων λαβέ
NRA Life Member
Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM

The big argument seems to be collectability vs. shootability. Do you want history or practicality? Beware, it gets intense.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:07 PM

I'm looking for a collectable shooter! (did you think I would say something else?)
Seriously, I don't want a wall hanger.
I would like something that can function as it was designed and built (shoot accurately and reliably), but that has the history of having WW2 experience if possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM

A Win 13 is likely to be one in receiver only. The 13 receivers are not common and command a higher price for that reason alone. I suggest a new shooter buy the very best postwar SG in the store for the first M1. Right now that would probably be a HRA. The next 4-6 weeks are probably one of the best times to shop as the store will stay stocked through the National Matches. You will find Michigan to be one of the best locations in the country for match shooting--just check the events calender in the CMP competition tracker. Good Shooting....
Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Welcome to the Forum! The state you live in is almost over run with CMP affiliates that run CMP matches! Some problem to have huh???

Any M1 Service Grade should be a good shooter, for a WWII example any Winchester and any Springfield under about 3.7M will do. A Win-13 is a bit more rare, desireable, example of same. Post war SA's, HR's and IHC's all built, in theory, without war time pressure and better steal some concider to be better rifles. When you get to the NS just tell them what it is you are after and they will do their best to help, they are great that way!!! I understand that a box of good donuts won't hurt either.

BTW, not knowing where you live in Michigan, Linden Sportsmen Club will be hosting a CMP match July 15 and we have loaner M1's available. Come join us!

Now that the water in muddied and stirred have fun!!!

rifle guy @ LSC
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM

I'm with Ceresco - buy the best post war Mi rifle you can find. It will likely be the best shooter and will also have more original parts than a rifle that has seen two wars and has been rebuilt many times.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 PM

The last 3 posters are excelent individuals, and very knowledgeable. When they talk...(or type, so to speak...) +1 on all their advise. Welcome to the forum, get out and shoot, informal, and CMP & NRA matches. Michigan is an excelent place to shoot. Lots of great and helpful people every where I have gone to shoot. Gary
Old 07-01-2012, 04:52 AM

Welcome! What area are you in? Getting a service grade SA or HRA, you just can't go wrong, if you can pick them out first hand. I'm not a fan of the greek park, so I'll steer clear of the win-13's for now.