Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Newly Downloaded, Now A Question

I have 2 computers, an old XP desktop & a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit laptop. I have downloaded & installed the Windows version on both, then read that in order to share data/use 2 computers I should use the USB version. Should I uninstall the Win version & install the USB? Will the encrypted 64 bit OS on the laptop make the data unusable on the 32 bit XP desktop? I don't mind using only one if need be, but I wanted to clarify before I start loading data. The program looks great and I am really glad to have it - I was building an Access db a couple of years ago but ran out of round tuits...
Thanks and regards,
Maj George Jacoby, USAF, ret.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj Dad View Post
I have 2 computers, an old XP desktop & a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit laptop. I have downloaded & installed the Windows version on both, then read that in order to share data/use 2 computers I should use the USB version. .
The biggest issue with using more than one computer is keeping them in synch. You can keep them in synch however you want but my recommendation is to use a USB flash drive to do it. Another way might be saving your files to the cloud from one PC and downloading them from the cloud to another PC. Whatever works for you. Again, the key is to keep your multiple computers in synch.

Quote:
Should I uninstall the Win version & install the USB?
There is no need to uninstall. In fact, a best practice is to run it off of one computer and back your files up to the USB flash drive which can then also be used on other computers or to keep other computers in synch. Here is a video showing you how to copy files from your USB flash drive to your computer. You can use this same process to copy your NM Collector Software files to any location.
Quote:
Will the encrypted 64 bit OS on the laptop make the data unusable on the 32 bit XP desktop? I don't mind using only one if need be, but I wanted to clarify before I start loading data.
It won't matter. The encryption algorithm itself is independent of the operating system. I have run the same encrypted database on both a 64 bit Windows 7 machine and my old XP machine.
Quote:
The program looks great and I am really glad to have it - I was building an Access db a couple of years ago but ran out of round tuits...
Thanks and regards,
Maj George Jacoby, USAF, ret
Thank you very much. I understand about running out of round tuits.

Last edited by nmCollector; 10-15-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for the fast reply!

Quote:
There is no need to uninstall. In fact, a best practice is to run it off of one computer and back your files up to the USB flash drive which can then also be used on other computers or to keep other computers in synch. Here is a video showing you how to copy files from your USB flash drive to your computer. You can use this same process to copy your NM Collector Software files to any location.

Super - I will do this, which I also do for a couple other programs. Now I can get busy & build it!
Thanks again,
George
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Super - I will do this, which I also do for a couple other programs. Now I can get busy & build it!
Thanks again,
George
Great!

Thanks again,

Clay