Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Please answer

I am new to CMP and I just wanted to ask if we are allowed to sell firearms on this forum? I have a Chuck Mawhenney M40 with an origional Redfield 3x9 1" GREEN SCOPE on it.

Thanks for looking.
Doc Les

I have no idea how this post got here.

Last edited by DocLes; 01-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop View Post
No offense intended to you, Bill, as I know you're only trying to help, but that's one of the last sites I would go to for info on Mosin rifles (but, that's another story).
None taken! I am curious though because, although I haven't spent much time over there, I haven't ever had a problem...hmf.

Bill
Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM

This is all good stuff... I just ordered one of these 91/30 Snipers from classic firearms it is an I/0 import, I think they are the same as the AIM rifles. Will post images &report when it arrives.

I just want something with a decent bore & crown that I can use to start shooting vintage sniper matches with my 14yo son.

Unless I hit the lottery this is about our only option for now. I would like to hear more about how they shoot from folks who have used them for a while.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM

Mine will shoot to about 1 MOA with 52 gr IMR 4350 and a 174gr SMK neck sized and seated rather long. Runs about 3 MOA with military ball. I have other mosins that will do better with mil. ammo, this one has a sloppy chamber. It is a repro sniper built on a '43 Ishevsk 91-30. I suspect the original ones will do a bit better. I have an "ex sniper" on a '43 Tula that would do substantially better. That rifle will do 1.5 MOA with Czech light ball and iron sights. Based on an M44 sporter with optics that shoots equally well with mil. ball, I bet that would be a cloverleaf rifle with the right load. I'm contemplating mounting my optics on that rifle and using the rifle I currently have in PU config as a sporter. Maybe next year, this year I'll be running it as-is again.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLes View Post
I am new to CMP and I just wanted to ask if we are allowed to sell firearms on this forum? I have a Chuck Mawhenney M40 with an origional Redfield 3x9 1" GREEN SCOPE on it.

Thanks for looking.
Doc Les

I have no idea how this post got here.
yes, The forum has a selling post, here it is, http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11

also I may like to buy your rifle
Old 01-25-2013, 11:02 AM

These M/Ns are hidden treasures! Like my M1, I really wish it could talk because I'd love to hear the stories it could tell.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM

I picked up one from classic recently. I/O, Molot imported. These are a deal, IMOP will gain in value much faster than my Garands. True WWII snipers for under $600 are a value.
Mine had a perfect bore, shimmed action, and a sweet trigger. Shot about 2 moa with LB russian surplus, and 1 moa with HB Russian target surplus and Bulgarian HB. Scope, mount and rcvr number matched. Obviously post war refurb. Scope was a 43 with a 59 refurb date. Dried cosmoline in barrel, these appear to be refurbed and stored away. Still had dried wax wrap around scope turrets and scope cover.
I bought a Rguns Tula for $800, and am pleased with it at that price. These are a steal. WWII scopes alone are $200+. Mount about $150.
CAI repros are around for about $400. The repro scopes have flat turret screws, real scope have curved head screws.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM

That and even the best quality ammo is affordable to shoot!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Hey finnmosin, how would you compare the Century $400 to the AIM?
I'm looking for one that looks authentic and shoots well enough for matches (I'm not ever going to be good enough to win but want to be able to compete and improve). I considered taking one of my 91/30s that is accurate already and adding the scope, but you can't do that for $400!
I don't see the need (for my collection and use) to strive for the most authentic or collectible, I'm wanting a CMP legal competitor!

JH
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

At Quantico, I am on 1000 yd line with no problems with my AIM released PU sniper. I am shooting hand loads and the rifle performs into the black.

I restored a Ex PU sniper with WWII scope & Mount, had mostly 2 inch groups at 300 yds last Sunday. Will be at Quantico this Sunday to push out to 600 yds and hopefully farther.

So, how do they shoot? Fine indeed with the right loads.