Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM

I would take an aim/classic any day of the week. I have two of them and am nt a collector, I am a shooter. They are great rifles and hold their value more than a century one.
Kind of like a century garand vs a cmp garand.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
Hey finnmosin, how would you compare the Century $400 to the AIM?
I'm looking for one that looks authentic and shoots well enough for matches (I'm not ever going to be good enough to win but want to be able to compete and improve). I considered taking one of my 91/30s that is accurate already and adding the scope, but you can't do that for $400!
I don't see the need (for my collection and use) to strive for the most authentic or collectible, I'm wanting a CMP legal competitor!

JH
I have the Century rifle and once I get better at LR shooting it will definately be competetive. Was not so out of the box with factory/mil ammo though. My particular rifle has a large chamber, requiring neck sized reloads to coax decent accuracy out of it. I bought it before the real snipers came on the market. The trigger pull is coarser than on most of the real snipers I have seen. That being said, with a good handload and some load development, it shoots MOA with a 174 gr SMK over IMR 4350 to max Lyman data. Anything out of the 10 ring I cannot blame the rifle. I have converted an ex-sniper back to PU configuration and it is a royal pain! Takes a lot of work to get everything to line up right and settle in. I did get a very accurate rifle when I was done. Unfortunately I ran into some financial snags 5 years ago and had to sell it.

Last edited by Polaris; 01-26-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Here's another thread on them. I got mine from Classic Arms. As described or better.
Scope s/n matches the reciever, scope mount is forced matched.
Was at the range; functions fine, need more time to set it up.
IMO, real good buy.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=92967
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM

The century made ups are all on the secondary mkt for around $400. I see them all the time at gunshows. They are built on run of the mill 91/30's. Not ex snipers. Supposedly the USSR did pull rifles based on accuracy for sniper use. Both of mine shoot as such, comparable to my finn rifles.
I have no idea how good the new optics are. If you make sure it has a great bore you could work on the trigger and stock to improve it.
It would be cheaper than the Molot or rguns snipers, but will not have investment value. But then again if I was shooting mine in competition I'd replace the matching scope to save it from the heavy round count and breakage possibility.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks guys for your comments. Tough decision to make. Bob, I read your thread with interest as well.
I don't mind doing some work, such as grinding/shimming/zeroing the scope mount, or smoothing the trigger, just don't want to have one where the mount is too far from center or the rifle itself won't ever shoot.
JH
Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Just another note on the repros. The glass is very good, clear and the zeros are pretty much right on vs the military scopes. With LPS ammo, the dials will change POI quite close to the meters indicated. Adjustments are accurate and repeatable. So far mine has held zero without any parts coming loose or breaking through aprox 500 full power rounds.

Either I got lucky or the scope/mount/rifle was boresighted and ground accordingly. I was on black right out of the box. Was able to use the T/E screws in the mount to bring it into fine zero. The dials on my scope are peened in place not allowing for fine adjustment as in original optics. You need to use the T/E in the mounts to get it on, which is a little bit of a pain but not too hard when you get a baseline for POI change per 1/4 turn of the screws. A little stoning cleaned up my trigger pull nicely.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:02 PM

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...940061#p940061

Put my repro rifle through it's paces today. This is 40 rounds fired from sandbag at 200 yards at an SR1 center. This is not my match load, rather my making brass load. Zero held well, the drifting holes are mine. I started to get a little flinchy towards the end.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM

There's no shame in those groups Polaris. Good enough to do the job she was built for.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Barry Rowland, you are correct, that is a nice target for a Mosin Sniper at 200 Yds.
Polaris, is that from your Century repro (I got the impression you have more than 1....)

That target is the best example I have of what I tell the naysayers. Sure, the Swede M41B or 1903A4gery may be a "better rifle", but both are well over $1000.00. That's a big investment for someone curious. If you can get groups like that at 200 Yds then you can be COMPETITIVE and sharpen your skills with that rifle. I want to compete in VS, and I collect Mosin Nagants, so that seems like a good plan for me. I don't shoot that well now, but if I could, that would be great. Maybe the bug will bite and I "need" an M41B, who knows.....
I shoot HP with my M1A and am competitive. Sure, the AR platform may be "better" but I make the same $ when I win as the rest of the winners......
JH
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 AM

Yes, that is my Century repro. The load is just a plinking load with a measured reduced load and 150 gr .311 PRVI fmjs to fireform my new Lapua brass. This particular rifle has a large chamber and does not like new or fl sized brass. My match load with fireformed brass and a .311 174 SMK will group 1/2-3/4 that size. I think the accuracy potential of these rifles is underrated. If you're up to shooting them, they definately are competetive. The biggest drawback to them is the lack of match grade factory ammo and the typically gritty trigger pull.