Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Indexing a 1903/1903-A3 barrel on a new install?

How do you properly index a new 1903 barrel? I am completely familiar with how to do it on a Garand or M14. I have done a couple handfuls of those, some of them being full 1000 yd. Highpower Rigs. I have an A-3 with the matching barrel. I was thinking of putting on an aftermarket barrel and putting aside the original because it is a bear to clean.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

Words that are always found together:
USA: Liquor Store and Robbed, Pressure Cooker and Explode
Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 PM

There should be an index mark at 9 o'clock on both the receiver and barrel, i.e. the left side of the receiver. if no index mark on the new barrel, does it have the extractor cut out already?
Similar to the Garand, if no index mark, then the focus should be on centering the extractor cutout and that the front sight is in the proper position.
When head spacing, make sure the extractor is off the bolt, assuming you are using a pull thru reamer as with a M1.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
There should be an index mark at 9 o'clock on both the receiver and barrel, i.e. the left side of the receiver. if no index mark on the new barrel, does it have the extractor cut out already?
Similar to the Garand, if no index mark, then the focus should be on centering the extractor cutout and that the front sight is in the proper position.
When head spacing, make sure the extractor is off the bolt, assuming you are using a pull thru reamer as with a M1.
Thanks for the info. I don't have a barrel, so I can't comment on if there is an index mark on the barrel, or an extractor cut.

Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM

If it is a new barrel it may be short chambered and require chamber reaming to properly head space the bolt.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't have a barrel, so I can't comment on if there is an index mark on the barrel, or an extractor cut.
Danny, on occasion you my find a NOS (new, old stock) 03A3 barrel for sale on this forum, or Ebay. They will have the index mark and extractor cut, but most likely they will be 2 groove if that is an issue for you.
The Criterion barrels that CMP sells appear to have the extractor cut based on the E-store image.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-1...oAAOSwXNRd3GKR

http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/A3
Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Danny, on occasion you my find a NOS (new, old stock) 03A3 barrel for sale on this forum, or Ebay. They will have the index mark and extractor cut, but most likely they will be 2 groove if that is an issue for you.
The Criterion barrels that CMP sells appear to have the extractor cut based on the E-store image.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-1...oAAOSwXNRd3GKR

http://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/A3
A two groove barrel does not bother me, BUT, my A3 is a Smith-Corona. I am not sure I want to have a Remington marked barrel on my rifle, though. I might like a Criterion. I guess that finding a NOS Smith-Corona barrel would be near impossible? What about a near new or better Smith-Corona bolt? Mine is use battered from the bolt stop, which I posted about before. I already found here a NOS in package Rear Sight assembly to replace mine which is cracked halfway front to back where the ear bends. I have not put it on yet.

Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

Last edited by Danny; 12-03-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 PM

Default indexing

The ones I've done are done much in the same manner as Garands. That is, you make the front sight spline/keyway 90 degrees to the flat receiver bottom. Being a tool maker, I have the tools to measure and gage this. Incidentally, the index lines while close are almost never right on.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjungle56 View Post
The ones I've done are done much in the same manner as Garands. That is, you make the front sight spline/keyway 90 degrees to the flat receiver bottom. Being a tool maker, I have the tools to measure and gage this. Incidentally, the index lines while close are almost never right on.
I am iffy on the index marks as well. even if they were dead on, guaranteed. Being that the marks are made on two differing diameters, I would be concerned by visual alignment errors.

Germany:
Air Show and Rammstein

Old 12-03-2019, 08:40 PM

dont over think it.. set the witness marks, check sight picture, and be done.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:04 AM

Set on the index marks, make sure the front sight is vertical, mount your new rear sight, TEST FIRE THE RIFLE. Then stake your rear sight base accordingly. Good Shooting. ...