Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Default My "New" Springfield DCM/NRA Sporter

Hello, a brand new forum member here. Happy to be aboard!

A close friend and training partner of mine lost his father two weeks ago at the age of 88. He was a local magistrate for over 30 years and was a lifelong firearms enthusiast. After his death, I helped my friend inventory his late father's firearms in anticipation of selling them for his mother. As a thank you for my help, my buddy gave me first dibs on the guns available and I bought this Springfield 1903 sporterized rifle. The barreled action is in its original military configuration except for the addition of a barrel band and stud replacing the original military barrel band and the addition of a vintage brass bead front sight blade. The original NRA Sporter stock has been replaced with a high-grade custom stock having very refined hand-checkering on the forend and pistol grip. It had a 60+-year-old recoil pad installed that was basically "petrified" and had become brittle and literally hard as a rock. I removed it and installed a new all black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad on it.
According to the serial number records, this rifle was manufactured at the Springfield Armory in 1930 and its star gauge SA barrel is dated 2-29. I'm happy to own it!
I posted about my rifle on another forum shortly after I brought it home and I was told by several knowledgeable and highly regarded forum members that it is, without a doubt, a DCM/NRA Sporter which, to be frank, I didn't know existed. Member John Beard told me this rifle is one of approximately 1400 Sporters manufactured in a large serial number block beginning with S/N 1343851 and that, because it is not listed in the DCM sales records which include only civilian sales, it was likely sold to a government agency (FBI, Dept. of the Interior, etc) or to a military officer.
Characteristics of my rifle are thus: its barrel has the remnant of a star gauge star stamping at the 6 o'clock position on its muzzle, stamped with a star gauge record number on the underside of the barrel, the barrel shank bears no traces of ever having had a rear sight base installed on it, the top front edge of the receiver has been mildly radiused, it has the correct Lyman 48S aperture sight with the hinged, fold up peep as used on NRA Sporters and, also, though it doesn't bear a serial number as some do, it does have a polished NM-like bolt.
I really didn't get to take a good look at the bore of the rifle before I bought it, but I was happy to find that when I did get to examine it, I found the bore to be bright with strong rifling. According to my Fisher muzzle gauge, the muzzle diameter stands at .3010 so it should have plenty of life left.

I'm posting the information and photos of my rifle for the benefit of those who are interested in these sporters and, also, though I have absolutely no interest in selling it, to get some idea of what it might be worth. I, admittedly, have no idea of its value and the asking prices of the ones I've seen are so divergent as to render them useless in determining actual worth.

I hope you find it an interesting example and thank you all for your assistance.

Last edited by XTrooper; 05-13-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Photos of Stock

Old 03-07-2018, 01:45 PM

I can’t offer any help with price. But that is a very interesting rifle...thanks for posting pictures!!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
I canít offer any help with price. But that is a very interesting rifle...thanks for posting pictures!!
My pleasure!

BTW, I used to live in West Virginia for a number of years after my retirement. I lived in Mathias, Eastern Hardy County, just a few miles north of the Virginia border in the Eastern Panhandle. I loved it there.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Thank you so much for posting the detailed pictures. I bought a 1903 action a while back with the goal of creating a NRA/Springfield Sporter. I bought a CMP Criterion barrel, but was considering whether the military contour would look good enough. Your pictures show a very classy rifle with just that. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7Dave View Post
Thank you so much for posting the detailed pictures. I bought a 1903 action a while back with the goal of creating a NRA/Springfield Sporter. I bought a CMP Criterion barrel, but was considering whether the military contour would look good enough. Your pictures show a very classy rifle with just that. Thanks!
You're very welcome, Dave! Best of luck with your project!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:48 AM

That is a beautiful rifle. I would take the mic to the muzzle gague and I'll bet it measures .300 and not .301
Old 03-11-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
That is a beautiful rifle. I would take the mic to the muzzle gague and I'll bet it measures .300 and not .301
Thanks, Jack!

That's a great idea! I'm going to do just that. My digital micrometer is kaput and I haven't replaced it yet so I need to borrow my buddy's to check it.
New Jersey State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor
Old 03-11-2018, 03:31 PM

Beautiful rifle.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyduece View Post
Beautiful rifle.
Thank you!

I can't wait to get to the range with it, but first, it has to stop snowing here every other day!
New Jersey State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
NRA LE Firearms Instructor