X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wfo87
    • Oct 2009

Where did the bolt guns come from?

I see this week there was a 40-X single shot, a barrelled receiver, a Steyr 300 Meter and some other unique pieces. We're these transferred thru the Army or by private donations? Any Ideas?
  • bob loughlin
    • Mar 2011

Most likely private donations . Bob

Comment

• T38Carbine
      • Feb 2010

Returns can come from a lot of obscure places. Closed bases that purchased sporting arms, closed ROTC units, etc..

Comment

• wfo87
        • Oct 2009

Yes I'm sure. I guess my point is it would be nice to know if I was bidding on a Army returned 40-X or a donation from XYZ shooter or his estate. Just the history buff in me.

Comment

• T38Carbine
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by wfo87 View Post
          Yes I'm sure. I guess my point is it would be nice to know if I was bidding on a Army returned 40-X or a donation from XYZ shooter or his estate. Just the history buff in me.
          I certainly share your sentiments. But, I think the CMP has long since decided that they will not disclose origin. An M1 is an M1 whether it came from US stores or a MAP return, or Grandpa Bill’s estate.

Comment

• krdomingue
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by T38Carbine View Post
            I certainly share your sentiments. But, I think the CMP has long since decided that they will not disclose origin. An M1 is an M1 whether it came from US stores or a MAP return, or Grandpa Bill’s estate.
            But we are not talking about M1s. The question is about the oddball bolt guns that are sold in all manner of conditions. They have no issue with identifying the Marine Corp sniper rifles. Detail history may not be available, but it would be nice to know if the item came out of Army storage or Bubba's gun collection.

Comment

• T38Carbine
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by krdomingue View Post
              But we are not talking about M1s. The question is about the oddball bolt guns that are sold in all manner of conditions. They have no issue with identifying the Marine Corp sniper rifles. Detail history may not be available, but it would be nice to know if the item came out of Army storage or Bubba's gun collection.
              Same policy applies to all products.

Comment

• krdomingue
                • Nov 2015

Same policy applies to all products.
                I am not sure if it a policy or not, but doesn't apply to all products:

"US Marine Corp Issue 10x Unertl Sniper Telescope"
                "
                "The Civilian Marksmanship Program has acquired a small quantity of these telescopes. These are very rarely seen on the civilian market, as USMC marked Unertl scopes were never sold directly to the public. "

"Up for auction is a DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECT AGENCY (DARPA) XM-3 Sniper Rifle used by the United States Marine Corps. In mid-2005, DARPA worked with Lt. Col. Norm Chandler’s Iron Brigade Armory (IBA)"

"This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles."

Comment

• T38Carbine
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by krdomingue View Post
                  I am not sure if it a policy or not, but doesn't apply to all products:

"US Marine Corp Issue 10x Unertl Sniper Telescope"
                  "
                  "The Civilian Marksmanship Program has acquired a small quantity of these telescopes. These are very rarely seen on the civilian market, as USMC marked Unertl scopes were never sold directly to the public. "

"Up for auction is a DEFENSE ADVANCED RESEARCH PROJECT AGENCY (DARPA) XM-3 Sniper Rifle used by the United States Marine Corps. In mid-2005, DARPA worked with Lt. Col. Norm Chandler’s Iron Brigade Armory (IBA)"

"This barreled action was received from DOD with a lot of other miscellaneous rifles."
                  Good point!! I guess it’s policy when they feel like it!!

Comment

• wfo87
                    • Oct 2009

Good point!! I guess it’s policy when they feel like it!!
                    I knew you guys would work out your differences. Mean while if anyone knows anything about this crop of 40X oddities and the Steyr......

Comment

• Saluki
                      • Mar 2015

I can tell you right now that the Steyr is a AMU rifle. That is a freaking certainty and I know that because I know enough people AT the AMU to be saying this.

Plus think of it this way, how many of those rifles have you seen in 6mmBR Norma stateside? Yeah none.

Comment

• wfo87
                        • Oct 2009

Me gets a feeling they all were........

Comment

• Saluki
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by wfo87 View Post
                          Me gets a feeling they all were........
                          The CMP received two of them from my understanding. These rifle are extreme tackdrivers.

Comment

• 5150thSMU
                            • Dec 2017

I know of several of the 40x rifles that were turned in by the USAR SMUs (Special Marksmanship Unit) when we cased the colors of all those units a few years ago.
                            I know this because as the Commander of the 5150th SMU I inspected and turned in several of them when we did it.

Comment

• cmp2
                              • May 2018

All are from the DOD with original reason or origin unknown besides that. Some are AMU. We will try to specify when we actually know the information. However, it would be unwise to make presumptions on anything we didn't know for fact.
                              Aaron Causey, SFC (Ret)
                              CMP Auctioner
                              CMP2
                              [email protected]
                              W (256)835-8455 ext418
                              F (256)835-3527

Comment

Working...
                              X