Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 PM

Any rebuild cartouche (possibly RIA) on the left side of the stock?

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218
Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
Any rebuild cartouche (possibly RIA) on the left side of the stock?
I didn't notice one right off the bat, but I was admittedly in a hurry trying to snap photos of the other 60 rifles that I'm looking at possibly buying tomorrow. Is that font/number typical of Rock Island rebuilds?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
I didn't notice one right off the bat, but I was admittedly in a hurry trying to snap photos of the other 60 rifles that I'm looking at possibly buying tomorrow. Is that font/number typical of Rock Island rebuilds?
The color of the park makes me believe that it might be. If I recall correctly, I have seen other RIA 03A3 rebuilds with similar battleship gray colored park. If I had to bet someone else's money, I wager that there's a RIA/EB stamp on that scant stock.

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218
Old 05-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
The color of the park makes me believe that it might be. If I recall correctly, I have seen other RIA 03A3 rebuilds with similar battleship gray colored park. If I had to bet someone else's money, I wager that there's a RIA/EB stamp on that scant stock.

I'll certainly take one more look in the morning. It may end up being the only rifle I can afford out of the bunch.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 PM

don't just look on the wrist for it, many times I see the RIA/EB in the middle of the left side of the butt
Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm View Post
don't just look on the wrist for it, many times I see the RIA/EB in the middle of the left side of the butt
Nothing there either unfortunately

Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 AM

How odd since it has a proof P. Curious what the experts think.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Again, not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once....

I would look at the edges of the wood. Are the edges sharp when there are cut edges, screw holes at the butt plate? Rounded edges would indicate a large amount of wear or sanding. The grain of that stick seems very course. and almost thirsty. The edges around the trigger housing also seems very sharp. I am wondering if that is a replacement stock or if it was placed on it later after the original one was removed.

I can see it now... SGT, I broke my stock while practicing the drill team routine... PVT, use that stock on that rifle and have the armor stow the metal for later.... I think of all the stories of some of the Garands in the shipping boxes arriving at CMP without stocks. Could this one have a similar story?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired Retired View Post
Again, not an expert but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once....

I would look at the edges of the wood. Are the edges sharp when there are cut edges, screw holes at the butt plate? Rounded edges would indicate a large amount of wear or sanding. The grain of that stick seems very course. and almost thirsty. The edges around the trigger housing also seems very sharp. I am wondering if that is a replacement stock or if it was placed on it later after the original one was removed.

I can see it now... SGT, I broke my stock while practicing the drill team routine... PVT, use that stock on that rifle and have the armor stow the metal for later.... I think of all the stories of some of the Garands in the shipping boxes arriving at CMP without stocks. Could this one have a similar story?
LOL! I wish I had a dollar for every M1903/A3 stock we busted up in drill team practice. Used to toss them in the air from the front to the back and sometimes caught them!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:52 AM

I stayed away without having any additional information. She ended up selling for $885 (after fees).

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Smith-...151&rfpb=0#Top

I did however manage to pick up an 1896 Krag and a "US Property" marked Winchester Model 70 Target, so I'll try to post photos of those here on the bolt action forum a little later in the week.