Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 07:06 PM

Default What is the purpose of the "Ask the CMP" section

Over two weeks ago, I posted a question concerning the legality of Knobloch glasses under the new regulations promulgated by the CMP. I posted the question under the "Ask the CMP" section.

To date, no one from the CMP has answered my question.

I thought my question was a reasonable one and it deserved an answer. But maybe I am missing something. Does the CMP staff indeed monitor this section of the forum?

If so, how about an answer to my question?

If not, then how about changing the name of this section to something that is not misleading?
Old 12-03-2020, 07:27 PM

As I understand it, Ask CMP under CMP General is for questions about purchases from the CMP.

There is a CMP Rules section under CMP Competitions, that would probably be a better place.

https://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72

There is even a question about Knoblochs already there:

https://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=272463
Old 12-03-2020, 08:20 PM

Some CMP leadership have described this section as "ask the CMP community" as most items posted here have been asked many times before. In fact, it looks like a great answer was posted 64 minutes after your question was posted.

No matter how it's described, CMP leadership does regularly respond to questions posted here.
As always, a specific question is best asked offline, through an email, phone call or better yet, by following the listed process for the issue in question.
I think the rulebooks have directions for requesting rulings.

Respectfully;
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 12-03-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:35 PM

The section used to be called “Ask Orest”—that is, Orest Michaels, the original head of the CMP. The community was a lot smaller then and Orest was often around on the forum joking around. You could tell he was getting busier and busier over the years though as his answers became more succinct and sparse. After he retired, they renamed it “Ask the CMP” but no one from CMP seems to check it anymore, which is too bad because to would probably save them a bunch of the same phone calls over and over.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 AM

Actually the community was much larger when Orest was CEO. The number of people watching any particular thread, at any particular time, is posted at the bottom of the page. Now days there is seldom more than one or two hundred at any one time. I can remember when Orest was here it sometimes got close to, or over, one thousand. I can remember when someone asked a question there were about twenty experienced collectors who would give a legitimate answer. Now there are five or six.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
Actually the community was much larger when Orest was CEO. The number of people watching any particular thread, at any particular time, is posted at the bottom of the page. Now days there is seldom more than one or two hundred at any one time. I can remember when Orest was here it sometimes got close to, or over, one thousand. I can remember when someone asked a question there were about twenty experienced collectors who would give a legitimate answer. Now there are five or six.
I think it’s just that the CMP Forum has become less active in general rather than the CMP community actually shrinking. Overall I think it includes a lot more people now that there are the various Vintage and Games matches, the Marksmanship Park, 1911s, etc. NRA has also seemingly imploded, leaving CMP to take over for NRA Competitions with Nationals.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:56 AM

I wondered the same. Now I understand. The forum and members have changed quite a bit from years ago when I was actively involved with collecting and interacting with fellow Garand nuts. Now it is...well...kind of meh.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinatus View Post
Over two weeks ago, I posted a question concerning the legality of Knobloch glasses under the new regulations promulgated by the CMP. I posted the question under the "Ask the CMP" section.

To date, no one from the CMP has answered my question.

I thought my question was a reasonable one and it deserved an answer. But maybe I am missing something. Does the CMP staff indeed monitor this section of the forum?

If so, how about an answer to my question?

If not, then how about changing the name of this section to something that is not misleading?
It was originally Ask Orest, and he would occasionally chime in. Uncertain the current purpose however.

e:f,b

Last edited by Fogtripper; 12-07-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
The section used to be called “Ask Orest”—that is, Orest Michaels, the original head of the CMP. The community was a lot smaller then and Orest was often around on the forum joking around. You could tell he was getting busier and busier over the years though as his answers became more succinct and sparse. After he retired, they renamed it “Ask the CMP” but no one from CMP seems to check it anymore, which is too bad because to would probably save them a bunch of the same phone calls over and over.
I remember him answering all the way back when it wasn’t even on a format like Vbulletin, but rather, a tree layout type affair. Anyone else here remember that setup? Anyway, He would answer questions back then, even helping with minor technical problems someone was having. If memory serves, he was the head armorer, or something akin to that position back then.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 PM

A great moment was actually meeting Orest in person at a match after having worked a rather unusual issue with him on his forum. FYI he made sure the issue was a non-issue. It involved an application to buy a carbine when the quantity was limited and applications time sensitive and my order accidentally got carried to France by the guy who was supposed to drop it off at the mail for me(I was recovering from surgery) but forgot and discovered he still had it in his briefcase when he arrived in France for business. Got to thank Orest in person for his assistance. Great guy
Closed Thread