X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AceMan
    • Jun 2015

1903A4 clone

I have a extra Remington 1903a3 I was thinking about making it into a 1903a4 clone. Anybody got any suggestions of a company that could do this for me? I don’t have time to do it myself and can’t afford a real one. I have read some people use a drill rifle to make a 1903a4...thoughts??
  • bruce
    • Nov 2009

Call Chuck in Denver. Excellent work. Sincerely. bruce.
    <><

Comment

• lemmonhead
      • May 2010

What is your budget?
      Does your rifle have a good barrel?
      Is it in original military configuration or has it already been sporterized?
      The drill rifles are great for building 1903A4 clones because the receivers have already been altered and drilling and tapping will only enhance the value. I never condone drilling and tapping a non sporterized rifle or receiver. My opinion; if you are going to build a rifle don't screw on a used/worn barrel. Get a new barrel. Either NOS, WOA or Criterion.

Breaking down the cost of building a 1903A4 clone on somewhat of a budget. Also assuming the rifle has all the stock metal. Some parts may be found a little cheaper but you would have to be patient and look hard.

Drill rifle/receiver $100-200
      Criterion barrel or NOS barrel ~200-$220 shipped
      A good turned down bolt ~ $135-200
      A good scant or C stock ~ $180-220
      Weaver K 2.5 scope ~ $80-100
      Rings ~ $20-50
      Scope base ~ $30
      Small parts ~$25-30

Totals for parts ~ $770-1050

Average gunsmithing costs for basic work. Add shipping costs.
      Install barrel and headspace $100
      D&T holes $75
      Parkerizing ~$150-200
      Extra for fitting and inletting of stock.

I also recommend Chuck. There are fewer and fewer gunsmiths that truly know how to work on these rifles and do the job correct. Chuck might not be the cheapest but he is certainly not the most expensive and the work will be done right. There are 03A4 clones for sale frequently in the marketplace for good prices, you can always keep an eye on the market place or put out a WTB and might end up costing less than building from scratch.
      Last edited by lemmonhead; 07-02-2018, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Col. Colt
        • Oct 2013

Go with a Drill Rifle, get a new barrel and let Chuck in Denver do it. He can give you a better idea - or may even have the parts to put it together.
        You can always sell the extra 03A3 to help finance your 03AForgery!
        CC

Comment

• amadeus76
          • Apr 2014

I thought Chuck didn't work on drill receivers?

Comment

• chuckindenver
            • Jan 2012

i work on Drill rifle actions,
            just the rifles i build and sell aren't recovered drill rifles.
            i wont drill and tap a SC... just too darn hard

Comment

• grumpa72
              • Apr 2010

Two cents worth - CID did my 1903Aforgery and I love it! I certainly am biased but if I ever needed/wanted another one he would get my business.

Comment

• AceMan
                • Jun 2015

Great feedback everyone. Based on feedback I should go the drill route. Dang I should have gotten one at the cmp about a year ago when I got my 2 1903a3’s. Yes my 1903a3s are original configuration from CMP. Both are in really nice condition..not sporterized or drilled. I see chuck posted on here so I will look for a rifle then give him a shout. Thx

Comment

• smag
                  • Oct 2011

I know a guy that makes great bolts for your project. Made like the originals were. Not cut and welded back on. No heat on cocking ramp.

Here's one I just did for Art K

https://i.imgur.com/wW4kSC2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X