Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Orest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM

Default Pit Master Help

I was asked to be a pit master for a match and I would like any advice and specific things I should to to ensure the match, and pits, run smoothly under my commands.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Don't let anyone get shot......
Old 05-27-2011, 02:23 PM

I was at the small arms firing school I think in 1980 in order to submit an application to the DCM for a drawing to buy a limited number of Garands.After shooting you had to go the next day into the pitts to score for the other half of the class. During one of the firing strings there was a shout over the intercom to cease fire, there was someone that walked out from possition 1 and was watching the line firing. After the cease firing command was given the rang officer sayed "Bring him up here his ****** is mine". Two soldiers marched him 50 shooting possitions down the pits while every one scoring got a look at this clown to throw him out.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Why thank you for your witty, yet unhelpful comments. Both of you. -__-
Old 05-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Pit Master advice

Good afternoon. You ask a good question. I have noticed that there are a few things that make a secession in the pits a little bit annoying, just as there are details that make it a great experience. The first and foremost thing is to make it clear that the primary reason for being in the pits is not to visit and talk about your day so far. The primary reason is to give and get good pit service. If you give good service, you can expect good service in return. Then, if you need to ask for additional speed, you are justified in asking for better service. Good pit service means paying attention to your target and being ready with an appropriatly colored paster before the next shot is fired. What I am saying is, the pit worker knows what color paster he will need because he can see the target face. A bullet hole in the black needs a black paster and a hole in the white requires a white paster. Have it ready on your finger tip before the next shot is fired. When the next shot is fired, pull the target into the pits, pull the spotter and paste the hole quickly. Then, look for the new hole and fill it with the spotter, faced in the appropriate direction, relocate the scoring disc as required, and send the target back into the air. 15 seconds is a lot of time to do this, if you are prepared. The other thing is folks that are talking too loudly and are distracting to other pit workers. You do not have to be a Pit Nazi, but it has to be addressed occassionally. Other than that, there is nothing magic. Have a good time as often as you can. Best of luck. DennyMac
Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM

Bring an easy to use timer with you for the rapid and slow fire strings. Print out a cheat sheet for common problems such as 9 yes/no, etc. Having an NRA/CMP rule book is helpful also. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks to those who actually helped, I am now looking forward to being the pit officer thanks to you!
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM

I don't know if you have ever been in the pits, this is a good place to start in the forum:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=8515
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Banned

The main thing to remember is to have a good sense of humor and don't take comments, like those from those two joker bother you. Remember stand your ground, but be fair.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin601 View Post
The main thing to remember is to have a good sense of humor and don't take comments, like those from those two joker bother you. Remember stand your ground, but be fair.
i think from her follow up post to the guys above/the 2 she responded first/ that telling her to have a sense of humor may be misplaced

Tags
advice, commands, match, pits