Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to me109g4

I have never tried to do a cmp stock,, other stock suppliers don't seem to put anything on the wood. rarely do I even stain them. I cut BLO 50/50 with turpentine, brush it on and wipe off excess, a few coats do the trick and after a while the finish will take on the appearance of a GI stock as the BLO darkens to the familiar reddish hue.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
I have never tried to do a cmp stock,, other stock suppliers don't seem to put anything on the wood. rarely do I even stain them. I cut BLO 50/50 with turpentine, brush it on and wipe off excess, a few coats do the trick and after a while the finish will take on the appearance of a GI stock as the BLO darkens to the familiar reddish hue.
I would like to see a picture of your finished stock.

Dan
Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 PM

The first walnut CMP stock I received I stripped the finish off with purple power, lightly sanded away the raised grain, and applied numerous coats of BLO. It's now a really handsome looking stock that I keep on one of my shooters.

Now I just received another walnut CMP stock and am trying something different. I removed the finish with purple power and have progressively sanded to 400 grit. I let the stock completely dry for a few days and then applied USSR stain (sold by USSR on this forum) and wow what a great color. I've let the stain set in and dry the last few days and I think I need a touch more on the front handguard to get everything matching. This weekend I'll apply the first few coats of BLO which should really make this stock look complete.

I'll have to get both stocks side by side for a comparison but so far both methods have yielded excellent results, though I may prefer the USSR stained stock. Both look really excellent.