Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2019, 07:35 AM

Default Wno sells a commercial M14 that passes MM rules.

Which manufacture sells a commercial M14/M1a that will pass modern military rules for 2019?

Going through the rules I see "commercial rifles" are not allowed in "as issued" classes.

So M14/M1a commercial Variants are Class B modern rifles.
Loosely defined as looking like and have sights similar to something issued at one point some place?

Last edited by mac1911; 02-27-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM

It’s not an M14 but the Springfield M1A standard is legal after you swap the NM front site blade for a standard width blade.

My understanding is that the M14/M1A has always been in class B as class A is just for AR-15 variants.

I’ve shot my M1A at the eastern games a couple times and no one has said anything at inspection after I changed the front site blade.

Jim
Old 02-25-2019, 06:26 PM

My M1A has a GI unitized gas cylinder. Iím guessing that is a no go?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
My M1A has a GI unitized gas cylinder. I’m guessing that is a no go?
It’s just a guess on my part, but if they are fussy about a few thousandths width on the front site blade then a unitized gas cylinder will probably put you in the unlimited class. It likely falls into the “special accurizing not allowed” rule.

You can get a definitive answer by emailing competitions@thecmp.org. I find them to be reasonably responsive.

Jim

Last edited by jsudduth; 02-25-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM

seems like cmp dropped some of the "special accurizing"

I dont know you tell me, I did shoot off a email but in the wait..........

Quick look on rifles
SAI Standard is 9.3lbs
Bula is 9.0lbs but has a modified barrel- Does the "military contour" rule still come into play
JRA M14 "original military configuration" model is listed as 10lbs

so basically thr cmp decided to "ban" one of the most common ARs the A2 with the rule change? CMP did not want it to be a equipment race but put restrictions on the optics that basically where not common ?
I dont know whats going on. Although because any cal up to 8mm can play in UMM I might run my 22lr AR with scope?

From the CMP
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/MM-Explanation-2019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2G6XQ8dp01PpFRUYDKmCBPouGCFy6K PC7lxy8DkBBtPC2GqGP7dsbcB8khttp://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/MM-Explanation-2019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2G6XQ8dp01PpFRUYDKmCBPouGCFy6K PC7lxy8DkBBtPC2GqGP7dsbcB8k

Last edited by mac1911; 02-25-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
seems like cmp dropped some of the "special accurizing"

I dont know you tell me, I did shoot off a email but in the wait..........

Quick look on rifles
SAI Standard is 9.3lbs
Bula is 9.0lbs but has a modified barrel- Does the "military contour" rule still come into play
JRA M14 "original military configuration" model is listed as 10lbs

so basically thr cmp decided to "ban" one of the most common ARs the A2 with the rule change? CMP did not want it to be a equipment race but put restrictions on the optics that basically where not common ?
I dont know whats going on. Although because any cal up to 8mm can play in UMM I might run my 22lr AR with scope?

From the CMP
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/MM-Explanation-2019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2G6XQ8dp01PpFRUYDKmCBPouGCFy6K PC7lxy8DkBBtPC2GqGP7dsbcB8khttp://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/MM-Explanation-2019.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2G6XQ8dp01PpFRUYDKmCBPouGCFy6K PC7lxy8DkBBtPC2GqGP7dsbcB8k
My M1A standard is on the lighter side. Itís right at 9 lbs.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Gentlemen, the CMP has specifically stated that the NM front sight is legal for use in the Modern Military Match.

The standard SAI M1A in the polymer stock is a definite go. The standard SAI M1A in the walnut stock is probably a go but needs to be checked for weight since it will be very close and due to variations in wood densities, it could potentially go either way.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Gentlemen, the CMP has specifically stated that the NM front sight is legal for use in the Modern Military Match.

The standard SAI M1A in the polymer stock is a definite go. The standard SAI M1A in the walnut stock is probably a go but needs to be checked for weight since it will be very close and due to variations in wood densities, it could potentially go either way.
Looking over the manufactures weights for basic M14 clones with walnut stocks I will gander are going to be on the heavier side of 9lbs?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
Looking over the manufactures weights for basic M14 clones with walnut stocks I will gander are going to be on the heavier side of 9lbs?
The best I can determine, the SAI weights appear to be measured with a 10 rd magazine. If that is the case, the SAI standard M1A with a walnut stock will be close to 9 lbs. As I noted, it would be best to actually measure one as opposed to going by the specs.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
The best I can determine, the SAI weights appear to be measured with a 10 rd magazine. If that is the case, the SAI standard M1A with a walnut stock will be close to 9 lbs. As I noted, it would be best to actually measure one as opposed to going by the specs.
I just weighed mine on my postal scale. 8 lbs 15.8 ozs. Thatís rifle only. No sling, no magazine, no ECI.

I go through inspection and the armorers either put a tie wrap on the rear sling swivel or a piece of tape on the trigger guard. Iíve never seen anyone verify that a rifle on the line has been inspected. So whatís to stop someone from skipping inspection altogether?

Note, my experience is at the eastern games. Other matches may be done differently.

Jim