Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Inland Carbine Question

I purchased a HRA Garand last year from the CMP and my wife has given me permission (lol) to purchase a Carbine but my question is are the Inland Carbines good shooters. I obviously noticed that they are priced substantially lower than the others and only Rack grades are left in all categories. I primarily want it as a shooter for Father/Son time at the range (the Garand was a little intimidating for him). Thank You.....
Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Heck yes they are good shooters. Best deal out there for $419.00!! The only reason they are cheaper is because they made the most of them, they all are of high quality.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Thank you, as you can see I'm a little new at this so your help is much appreciated. I thought the $419 could mean worst of the bunch. Not real familiar with the Carbine but I'm sure I will learn a lot about it like I did the Garand by coming and reading through previous posts....
Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM

If you're price concious, then the RG Inland is a good bet at the price. Be mindful that you are dealing with luck of the draw. My three RG's an IN, WIN, IBM are all equivalent to the SG carbines I have purchased. The major difference is often the quality of the wood. M2 replacement stocks are inexpensive and easily refurbished.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM

The Inland rackers are the best deal going. I have two of them and they are both as good as the one service grade I also have. I'm sure your son would love one!

All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM

I never thought I'd want a carbine till I held one this spring..
Great rifles to shoot, tons of fun.
From what I've seen so far, most are very happy and surprised with their RG Carbines.
Some, get as described, so brace for as described, which will still be a fine plinker. And this way if it's above grade, you'll be blooming happy.
I have a RG Inland on order with CMP, waiting for it.
When that comes in, my carbines will out number my garands by 2:1.

+1 on the surplus M2 stocks, available all over the place for between 40 - 65 bux with metal.

My wife and daughter both put a couple of rounds through the garand and said enough was enough.
Both completely enjoy the carbines.

If you want to take a lot of the luck of the draw out of it, then either go for a SG Bavarian.

Or if you want to take all of the luck of the draw out of it and not deal with the CMP lead time call Orion 7 to see what they have in stock www.m1garand.com . I just picked up a premo NPM for my dad at a fair retail price at Orion 7. My dad didn't want to go with luck of the draw with a CMP order.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:10 PM

I picked out an Inland racker out at NS sometime ago. Mine has a mw just under 2(barely), with a few light pits. The wood is rough, but cleaned up to 'acceptable'. It rattles when I shake it like it wants to fall apart, almost. Barrel is original as far as I can tell. And it's one of my favorite rifles. At the range it shoots and shoots and shoots..... After maybe 500 rounds, never one jam, or failure to eject. IMO one of the best deals at CMP.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82nd Rigger

KYWindage,

As has been stated, the reason the Inlands are cheapest is because they are the most plentiful, not because of quality.

The description given for the rack grade carbines applies to ALL the manufacturers.

That description would be the WORST condition you could expect.

A rack grade Carbine may not be real PRETTY.

It will be serviceable and will be a shooter.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM

Racker: Hope for the best but expect the worst.

My Rock-ola racker was so nice that I ordered an Inland racker too, just got the DBU yesterday.

I couldn't pass up a Rock-ola but buying one is pretty much paying an extra $150 for the name "Rock-ola" printed neatly under the rear sight where you can't see it. I got lucky and got a Rock-ola barrel but there's no guarantee that anything but the receiver will be brand "X" that you ordered.

...so yeah, the Inland rackers are a good deal. You should get a good shooter maybe a bit of a project on the stock.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 PM

Default Inlands are great - but consider condition...

I have a great Field Grade Inland Austrian marked carbine that (I purchased at the Eastern Games last year).

I went through quite a few field grades before selecting this rifle with Leon (South Store staff) helping me. For example, several barrels were so worn they completely swallowed the muzzle wear gauge I was carrying.

I saw a number of rack grade carbines recently at the North Store, and frankly wouldn't want any of them. Since you're considering your first (and possibly only) M1 Carbine, please consider this...

Unless you can travel to one of the stores and select your carbine yourself, reconsider buying one sight unseen... You can get a beautiful rifle at a bargain price, but you also can end up with some at the lower end of the rating. Remember that rack grade is the lowest of all the grades judged by the CMP armorers. So luck of the draw could mean best of the grade, or worst of the worst...

You generally will only see the good experience stories on the forum.

Caveat Emptor

Last edited by mrerick; 01-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.