Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Default Bolt Won't Lock Back

Since I cleaned and oiled by carbine, the bolt won't lock back. I am guessing I just used too much oil and the pin is slipping out of the groove. Anyone else ever experience this?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 AM

Are you pressing the pin down just as hard as before you cleaned it?
I have several carbines that have that problem. I don't think it's a problem with the oil. The slot the pin is pushed down into is ramped in the back of the slot. The way this set up was SUPPOSED to work was this,the bolt was pulled back to the slot and the pin pushed down into this slot, locking the bolt back. To release the bolt you would pull the bolt BACK until the pin moved up the ramp and out of the slot, then the bolt was released and allowed to go into battery.

That was the way it was SUPPOSED to work ! Many a time the soldier would simply knock the bolt handle forward to close it. Over time this made a "ramp" on the FRONT of the slot as well as the back making it hard, if not impossible, to lock the bolt open. Or it could reshape the pin bottom making it do the same thing.
Two of my 9 carbines have this problem. I live with it. I guess I could use my Dremel tool and hog out the slot but this is hardened steel I'd be working on and I would, more than likely, mess the whole slot up just to keep the bolt stop working. It's not worth it. It's a small thing to have to put up with, don't worry about it.

J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 01-09-2010, 07:23 AM

I know I risk being beaten for stating the obvious, but are you sure you are over the cut out when you push the pin down?

If you pull the handle ALL the way to the rear, and then push down, you will be over that back end of the cut-out, on the ramp, and the pin won't go all the way down.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM

I encountered a 3rd possibility on my Inland recently. The slide stop pin was broken completely into 2 separate pieces in the middle. The spring kept both pieces inside the operating slide handle and everything appeared normal from the outside; however, when you pushed the pin down it did not protrude from bottom of the slide handle and hold the slide back. I replaced the pin and everything returned to normal.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 PM

I would also clean the bottom of the slide stop pin and the hole in the receiver with a sharp utility blade. Also check the box (the square) that rides inside the rail f the receiver at the back of the slide, if there is a lot of play up and down the slide maybe worn. You can always replace the slide stop pin and spring. I hope one of these help because if it doesn't your receiver hole is worn and you can't fix that with some serious work.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM

If the slide is worn is that an easy fix? There is some slight play but I was told this is normal for all carbines. The thing is, it was locking back fine the other day.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 PM