Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 AM

Default M1917 Winchester value? *Photos Added*

You guys are the experts and I would like to ask you for your opinion on the value of CMP certified 1917 Winchester with Winchester barrel, Winchester front and rear sights, Winchester stock hardware, Eddystone trigger assembly and very nice walnut stock not marked other than 3GM-K on left side and IJ on grip. Bore looks good. The left rear sight housing is engraved "Carlisle Post 256 American Legion Carlisle Ind." The same is stamped on the left side of the stock. CMP certificate has original owner's name blacked out.
I picked this up at an auction a few years ago.
Thank you in advance for your input. Jeff

http://s526.photobucket.com/user/eng...7%20Winchester

Last edited by engineer55; 12-17-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add more photos
Old 12-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Default M1917-Winchester

Three names on these rifles. Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone. The winchester model had the fewest numbers and I would venture that they carry a premium. It is CMP which can supply a true history of sorts. The rest is condition.

Check serial#. A winchester barrel with the corrosive primers used at the time is something I would call unique. Without pix I would say $700-950 tops.

JMHO

PS: They are getting harder to find...
But the backbone of the Army is the Non-commissioned Man !

Keep away from dirtiness - keep away from mess,
Don't get into doin' things rather-more-or-less
Let's ha' done with abby-nay, kul, and hazar-ho;
Mind you keep your rifle an' yourself jus' so !

Last edited by AirCav72; 12-04-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added observation
Old 12-04-2014, 01:28 PM

It sounds like a typical mixmaster 1917. Condition would be therefore based on condition, with a low of $450 or so, up to maybe 700? I don't see many shooter 1917s sell above $650 or so?
I bought my 1917 at the SS on the Oct 2011 release day, that is the last major sale of them from CMP:
RM1917S M1917 Enfield Service Grade $500 (216 available)
RM1917FG M1917 Enfield Field Grade $450 (591 available)
RM1917R M1917 Enfield Rack Grade $400 (133 available)

I just don't see 1917s bring the same prices as similar 1903s, and most 1917s have been through rebuilds, so not many "correct" them.
JH
Old 12-04-2014, 03:56 PM

I would agree with the above post. There is not a lot of collectability with 1917s, so condition is the main determinant. The bore is a $200 variable --pretty much the cost of a Criterion re-barrel. Another important feature is the receiver ring cracks that are sometimes found. They are hard to see and generally found in re-barreled rifles. I'm not sure they really hurt anything, since there are certainly many being used without the owners having a clue. A good 1917 is a real delight to own and shoot... Good Shooting.......
Old 12-04-2014, 11:01 PM

I'd put the value of a mixmaster at $600. I have an all matching Remington I bought for $800 several years ago.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Thank you very much for your insight. Jeff
Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 PM

Look at the stock on the very tip. It should be marked R,E or W. usually the letter is large and very faded, almost like it was cut with a razor blade in a stencil. Sometimes it is rather small and struck deeper like from a punch. The barrel looks like years of Corrosive Blanks went thru it with minimal cleaning. Now that it is clean the damage is visible. Serving at the Funerals of Our veterans and during parades will do that. Some one a while back was shooting soft tipped ammo thru one like that. The friction in the bore grabbed the copper jacket and let the lead core go down range. If it was me I would stick with FMJ of the GReek HXP variety from CMP. It's a great historical piece which may get a bump in value with WWI Anniversary or a New WWI movie if one comes out. Again, just me, I wouldn't re-barrel it or change a thing. I might try some over sized cast slugs as others have done. Or just bang away with some HXP and enjoy it for the priceless piece of History that it is. If it was at My LGS I would be OK with paying $600 for it. But then, I really like the Model of 1917.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Give the bore a good scrubbing with a copper brush and gun solvent until it comes out clean. Usually, when the jacket stays in the barrel but the lead comes out, it is because of too low a velocity due to a tight barrel or less than minimal powder especially reloads.

Lead cast bullets can safely be fired with low velocity.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:38 PM

There's a Winchester 1917 stock on fleabay right now.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Thank you again.There isn't any mark on the end of the forend. I am going to try to get the bore shiny with a little elbow grease. I bet it will shoot good once it is cleaned. It has just been sitting in the corner waiting for some attention for the last 3 years.

Tags
1917, winchester