Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Gorilla View Post
According to Hodgdon, H4895 and IMR-4895 are IDENTICAL, and Hodgdon makes them both.
This is erroneous and potentially dangerous information, and reinforces my advice to NEVER reload ammunition based on what you read on a forum (any forum).

Hodgdon's own data (free, on their web site) contain starting loads for these two powders in .30-06 with a 150 grain bullet that are three grains and 5000 psi apart. Max loads are two grains and 8000 psi apart.

Buy the loading manuals, or look at powder manufacturers' web sites. Do your own research from primary sources and do not trust anyone on any forum (including me) for loading data.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-20-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
They are not the same, as they are made by two different powder companies (as previously stated). Hodgdon has never made powder in their life. Bruce Hodgdon got his start selling surplus IMR4831 he bought from the U.S. government, and they have been selling other manufacturer's powders with the Hodgdon label on them ever since.

Don
Whether they make themselves or contract to have it made is immaterial. However, if you read the articles in their latest magazine format reloading guide about 8208XBR the clear impression is that they do indeed make at least some of their powders themselves.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfullgraf View Post
Per Hodgdon's MSDS sheets, IMR4895 is made in Canada by General Dynamics. H4895 is made in Australia by Thales. Doesn't mean they are different, but compelling evidence they are not the same. MSDS sheets are posted on Hodgdon's web site.

H-110 and W296 are made in Florida and have the same alternate powder name indicated on the MSDS sheet. Ditto for H4227 and IMR4227 although they are made in Austrailia.

I find I use less IMR4895 in my Garands to get the same velocity as H4895.

I'd be interested in seeing the source of the info that Hodgdon says that H4895 and IMR4895 are the same.
Right. The old H-4895 is different from the current H-4895 as well. The differences in any powder from lot to lot are often as much or greater than any difference you are likely to see between IMR and H versions of 4895. I have used both interchangeably for many, many years in a variety of cartridges and never had a whisper of a problem. I will concede, however, that I should have stated that one start at minimum and work up with ANY powder, and even with new lots of the same powder.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Gorilla View Post
According to Hodgdon, H4895 and IMR-4895 are IDENTICAL, and Hodgdon makes them both.
ABSOLUTELY incorrect. Different powder, different data but very close. The two always have been very similar but never the same. Just because Hodgdon now owns Winchester Powder and IMR doesn't mean powders are interchangable. Thinking so could be very dangerous.

Remember to only use current data which is available from the Hodgdon Website. Powders change and older data is invalid for the newer generations of the same numbered powders.

Larry

Last edited by lapriester; 05-23-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
ABSOLUTELY incorrect. Different powder, different data but very close. The two always have been very similar but never the same. Just because Hodgdon now owns Winchester Powder and IMR doesn't mean powders are interchangable. Thinking so could be very dangerous.

Remember to only use current data which is available from the Hodgdon Website. Powders change and older data is invalid for the newer generations of the same numbered powders.

Larry
I did go back and modify what I said, including that you should always start low even when changing lots of the same powder. But, I did get my finger in the wrong hole initially. Mea culpa.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

No they're not the same nor is the data interchangeable, but they are very close. IMR4064 gives more consistent accuracy than either of 'em though.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray View Post
No they're not the same nor is the data interchangeable, but they are very close. IMR4064 gives more consistent accuracy than either of 'em though.
I'll definately agree with that. I've found IMR 4064 to be far more accurate, especially with my 155 Nosler Custom Comp bullets. I've also found Varget to be a better powder. Lately I've kind of written off the 4895's as needing more work to find a more accurate load combination. Besides IMR and H4895 is almost impossible to get these days.

Larry
Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Default IMR vs Hodgen 4895

Our gun club sells both powders. I am ONLY going to reload 30-06 for the M1. I have used the search but can't find the "Specific" answer to my question.

We have 8 lb. jugs of IMR 4895 and H4895. Price is about $160 for either (I think the IMR is $158).

Reloading manuals show both powders for the M1. I plan on using 150 grain bullets only.

Which powder is best? The IMR seems to be the original. I have an old book from 1930's (Reloading) by Phillip Sharp (extreme amount of priceless info)..and they refer to the IMR.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 PM

I shoot IMR, since I have many Lbs. of it. Great for 308 too.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Hodgon 4895 is one of their "Extreme Powders".

From their web site.....Our exclusive line of extruded rifle powders – Hodgdon Extreme™ – was developed to give shooters consistent performance, load after load, in even the most extreme heat and cold.

TW56

Tags
h4895, imr4895, reloading