Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 02:04 AM

Maybe one rifle per person and then back to the end of the line?

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131198
Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Default been happening for a long time...

Fortunately I live reasonably close to the South Store....But my initial visit was just as you describe. Collectors (of which I am one now!) are a curious lot, to say the least. I know guys that have literally a hundred or more Garands...and still looking for one more! In the "old days" when the shelves were full and the the picking was good, this multiple gun practice was rampant! Many was the day, even in the middle of the week, I would see these same fellows mulling over multiple rifles at a table or even at the counter as if they planned to buy the lot.....only to pick one or two and return the rest to the racks. Then if someone came out from the back with a cart of rifles it would be like a "flock of Buzzards" rushing to a fresh "road kill."
I was fortunate to meet Leon early on and he was very helpful in finding my first rifle for me....but I have to admit I had to get in the face of a guy when Leon came out of the back with 4 rifles for a better selection...'cause he was definitely gonna step in front of me to get his pick first....Uncle taught me how to perform hand to hand a long time ago....But I haven't forgotten how!
Pickins' are very slim now and the hope of finding that "been there, done that" rifle may be very hard to find.
It's a shame that we can't get our hands on all the surplus rifles that still remain outside the country!
~QS~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownac1983 View Post

The one thing that detracted from the experience was that as soon as the doors were opened, one gentleman (and I use that term loosely) almost sprinted inside, grabbed the only 7 or 8 rifles with lock bars, and huddled in the corner with them while the rest of us had to pick through what was left. He sat on them for 30 minutes or so and then placed the ones he didn't want back on the rack.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 PM

Personally, I'd like to see a lifetime limit of, say 15 M1's and maybe 4 per year. The fact is that the average buyer (who buys one rifle) has to wait a month or 2, while there are guys who are turning the 12/year limit into a $300/ month side business, buying from the CMP and selling retail like crazy.

It is the Civilian MARKSMANSHIP Program, not the Milsurp Collector's Program. If guys want to hoard M1's, fine. Do it on gunbroker or armslist. The fact that the stores are near empty and there is such a long wait via mail order is an obvious sign that there should be considerably tightened limits on quantities each customer can buy, at least until inventory builds back up.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 PM

I have to agree with the boss. The thought of competing with all the agents for a limited supply was enough to make me pass on this round of IHCs. The only other option was to pay an agent myself but I wasn't going to do that. I feel a lot better now about making the long trip to pick out my own rifle.

Last edited by C Dexter; 03-29-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Dexter View Post
I have to agree with the boss. Just the thought of competing with all the agents for a limited supply was enough to make me pass on this round of IHCs. The only other option was to pay an agent myself but I wasn't going to do that. I feel a lot better now about making that long trip in the future for a chance at picking out my own rifle.
Thank goodness those bullies won't be there to take away from your experience.....I and the rest of the Forum look forward to the pics of your rifle once(if) you finally brave the trip to the store.....

Nice shot, George.....

LEGAL Citizen/Immigrant since 1964
NRA Life Member
Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hudgins View Post
while there are guys who are turning the 12/year limit into a $300/ month side business, buying from the CMP and selling retail like crazy.
LOL. If someone is going through all that for $3600 a year, I'd hardly call it a "side business". More like an exercise in stupidity. Orest has put to rest the myth of the dreaded CMP reseller a thousand times.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see a lifetime limit of, say 15 M1's and maybe 4 per year. The fact is that the average buyer (who buys one rifle) has to wait a month or 2, while there are guys who are turning the 12/year limit into a $300/ month side business, buying from the CMP and selling retail like crazy.

It is the Civilian MARKSMANSHIP Program, not the Milsurp Collector's Program. If guys want to hoard M1's, fine. Do it on gunbroker or armslist. The fact that the stores are near empty and there is such a long wait via mail order is an obvious sign that there should be considerably tightened limits on quantities each customer can buy, at least until inventory builds back up.
You are absolutely right. It is the Civilian MARKSMANSHIP program. And they are charged with promoting marksmanship. Which they do by selling surplus rifles to fund the programs. It matters not to them who the rifles go to, their ultimate goal is to sell every single one. Whether it's your first or fifty first, you are aiding the CMP.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANinMICH View Post
LOL. If someone is going through all that for $3600 a year, I'd hardly call it a "side business". More like an exercise in stupidity. Orest has put to rest the myth of the dreaded CMP reseller a thousand times.
I've had 2 friends buy Garands from LGS's with CMP paperwork and cases. Neither one of them knew much about them, and both paid over $1000 for what look like field grade M1's. Oddly enough, the gun shop owners always have one or 2 CMP Garands in stock, for outrageous prices, because there are local guys who buy every one they can get from the CMP and flip them to the LGS's for a quick profit. One LGS owner laughed and told my friend it's how one customer makes his truck payment every month. If he can't flip it in on gunbroker or armslist, he brings it to the LGS.

Guys reselling like that may not be widespread, but you can't convince me it's not going on. You'd think that the CMP would like to involve the maximum number of buyers (i.e., a tighter limit on quantities), as that would do more for marksmanship in the long run than being a Sam's Club of milsurp Garands.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTUS View Post
Thank goodness those bullies won't be there to take away from your experience.....I and the rest of the Forum look forward to the pics of your rifle once(if) you finally brave the trip to the store.....
I did not say anything about bullies and you clearly don't know me. I'll go back to the CMP whenever I feel like it. You don't have to agree with my views but you do have to remain civil on this forum.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You'd think that the CMP would like to involve the maximum number of buyers (i.e., a tighter limit on quantities), as that would do more for marksmanship in the long run than being a Sam's Club of milsurp Garands.

CMP is not interested in maximizing the number of buyers. They are here to maximize the number of sales. They need to sell rifles and use the money to fund their programs. Garands are NOT the CMP mission.