Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2016, 10:25 PM

Rob. While you're there, see if you can get some intell about when they anticipate resolving the backlog of M1 orders and will start restocking the SS. I've promised to take a friend later this month for his first trip/rifle.

Speaking of ribs, when I was stationed at Ft. Gordon in Ga., there was this fantastic BBQ restaurant that had the finest ribs/BBQ I've ever had. Anyone from the Augusta area know if Sconyers BBQ is still there?
Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 PM

Rob, if you ever find yourself in savannah georgia ley me know. I would love to see how my ribs stack up with a world traveler
Old 03-04-2016, 10:33 PM

Have a good, safe, and fruitful trip Rob!
Old 03-05-2016, 01:00 AM

The problem with their NM rifles is most are not in the best shape the last time I was there and they were very expensive. That being said, isn't a true NM registered and would be on the Springfield Research Service list? I didn't think putting all NM parts on a gun made it NM.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not very familiar with these things and am going by what others have told me.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollybob View Post
The problem with their NM rifles is most are not in the best shape the last time I was there and they were very expensive. That being said, isn't a true NM registered and would be on the Springfield Research Service list? I didn't think putting all NM parts on a gun made it NM.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not very familiar with these things and am going by what others have told me.
I believe the ones they have are legitament National Match (even if many would take a lot of work to get ready for any match). One problem they do have from what I was told was that they were disassembled by the CMP and reassembled without keeping all the matching parts together. I have seen mixed results with this from the ones I have looked at in the past.
The latest batch they put out had many that had grease pencil markings in the barrel channel that matched the serial of the rifle.
I do not believe these are merely rifles the CMP put together, but are originally NM rifles.
I believe they come with a Cert stating they are National Match and they cost $2500 if I recall.

If I can find one that would not take too much to make it nice I will buy it.

We'll see how it goes and I will post up pictures of whatever I get.

Rob
Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 AM

I went thru the NM's several times last year and ended up with two. That upper rack was full the first time I looked. I went thru every gun and only found 12 with a matching numbered stock. Didn't find any with the trigger group also matching. I also made a list of all three components to try and put parts with the correct gun. I had Mike's permission to do this. I wasn't able to match anything up that wasn't already together. Mike was actually the one that worked these in 2012 when they uncrated them. He has knowledge. Make sure to take a list of NM upgrades thru the years and also the 4 symbols that were stamped on the barrels in 1959-1962. I saw one that had two symbols on the barrel meaning it had gone thru the upgrade program twice. Good hunting.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:51 AM

Hey Rob,

I miss the days of my Saturday morning phone call describing a nice Garand you here holding. My bank account is a little happier but the safe has not gotten much fuller.

Good luck with your quest today.

Joel
Old 03-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Pecan lodge in Dallas. Give it a try.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 AM

For the cost, you may want to look for one outside of the store.

You might find them for the same price, matching and the CMP can confirm if it sold during the National Matches in the 1960's.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 PM

Just called Rob at the store, he picked up a 3.0M w/'54 barrel, matching stock, trigger job, lotsa NM parts, he's pretty happy with it. Pics tonite or tomorrow. One racker there, barrel gauging 4 and 7. Good news is that armorers are about done with the carbines, can turn their attention to Garands for mail orders and store racks. He'll have a much more in-depth report later of course.