Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Default CMP Service Grade Wood Stock

I recently received a CMP Service Grade M1 Garand rifle from the CMP. My question is about the CMP wood stock. Does it already have any finish protectant applied? If not, does it need any? If it does, does it need occasional re-applications? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Default CMP stocks

I believe that an application of stain to color match the stock and handguards is the only finish applied. I remove it with Citristrip and apply another stain and BLO. I apply Tru-oil to end grain on stock to waterproof and avoid rust.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:57 AM

I like what it looks like. So would a boiled linseed treatment keep it about the same and protect?
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikacz View Post
I recently received a CMP Service Grade M1 Garand rifle from the CMP. My question is about the CMP wood stock. Does it already have any finish protectant applied? If not, does it need any? If it does, does it need occasional re-applications? Thanks.
The How To section of the forum has several stock care threads, some specifically cover the new CMP stocks.
Most seem to have a light spray finish that is best removed if you want an original oil finish.
JH
Old 04-16-2018, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikacz View Post
Yes, no and possibly, depending on your taste and/or usage.
For further information, see this thread where the question was previously asked...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=190618

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Thank you for the link and info. I really like it the way it is with the Minwax stain. I guess my only concern is does it need anything to protect and keep it the way it is?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM

The best practice is to apply at least 3 coats of BLO as the stock is very dru, allow BLO to dry overnight before applying each coat--you can apply more coats if you want. I allowed the BLO to cure for two weeks and then applied three coats of a tung oil finish. Again 24 hours between coats and two weeks after the last coat. Then I used Renaissance Wax, or Brite Wax or Johnsons Past wax. I reapply the past wax after every range trip.

There are many ways to do this process- the CMP advice on Gunsmiths Corner is about as good as any. Renaissance Wax is expensive but a little bit goes a long wasy. Make sure you apply the finishes to all wood services,

Hope this is helpful

BR
Old 04-16-2018, 03:44 PM

I always completely strip the finish to bare wood, stain then apply BLO. If you do not strip the stock first you may end up with blotchy areas. You can try BLO as is and if it doesn't work out will have to strip and start over
Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to me109g4

A radical idea,,, maybe just do it the way SA did it back in the day.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 PM

I have heard that the oil will not work well over the CMP stocks sprayed on finish
Never tried it but looking at them they look like a table leg with a sprayed on finish.
I would remove it and use some oil (stain if needed), but I prefer that anyway. Hand rubbed oil is always a good decision on a US Milsurp.

JH