Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Default Modern Military clarification

A few of us would like to buy or build AR's to participate. After reading many of the threads and the rule book there seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding I am hoping you can clarify. I will attempt to make these easy to answer yes or no questions.

1) Are free float tubes allowed?

2) Are the fancy aluminum rails with attached sling swivels allowed?

3) Are fluted barrels allowed?

4) Is there a maximum barrel diameter considered allowable?

Thank You
Distinguished Rifleman #2227
President's Hundred
Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 PM

1) Are free float tubes allowed? NO

2) Are the fancy aluminum rails with attached sling swivels allowed? NO

3) Are fluted barrels allowed? NO

4) Is there a maximum barrel diameter considered allowable? USGI Barrel dimensions only

As per the CMP rule book the spirit of "Modern Military March" is to honor marksman ship using rifles that are as close as possible to those used by the armed forces. So bone stock AR, AK, FAL, etc in semi-auto condition is what CMP is looking for competitors to bring to these matches.

So if you ever wanted to build a Brownells retro Vietnam AR, this would be the match for that rifle.

All the best.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:49 PM

I know there is info scattered all over and there are private emails and then there are rumors and such from actual matches but I think CMP (Mr. Johnson himself) answering the above specific questions, publically, one more time, would really help. At least it would helped me when building a legal rifle but more so as a match director since I deal with an endless configuration of rifles and get asked if etc etc is legal or not.

Thank you,

James Root
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 04-23-2018, 05:31 PM

I thought the CMP was creating an Unlimited MM so anyone with any configuration outside of as-issued type could be lumped in there like the Unlimited Garand category. Someone even said the CMP ran a regional match that included the Unlimited MM class. It's just that there's nothing in the rule book on it yet, so we can't offer it in local matches.
I'll add a small bone of contention to the discussion that I'm disappointed in. The 2018 rule book is still not available for purchase as of almost May of 2018. Yeah, I know it's online, but as a CMP GSM Match Chairman running sanctioned matches, it's a lot easier having the small booklet at the match. Florida sanctioned match season ends in June as it's too hot after that to get a good turnout till October again. Maybe by 2019 they'll have the 2018 book out, then it'll be obsolete and not needed, and we'll wait for 2020 for the 2019 book.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM

Craftsman
Most MM matches I have been to, no rifle has been turned away to shoot, they just were not allowed to compete for medals.

I have not heard of anything to allow them to be grouped into completion like unlimited Garands but perhaps others have.

All the best.

john
Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM

Well, since anyone can answer the questions........ 1. I don't think so. 2. Probably not. 3. Maybe. 4. I don't think so, but you (may) need to stay under the weight limit.... Hope this helps.....but I don't think so. Good Shooting. ...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Well, since anyone can answer the questions........ 1. I don't think so. 2. Probably not. 3. Maybe. 4. I don't think so, but you (may) need to stay under the weight limit.... Hope this helps.....but I don't think so. Good Shooting. ...
Got to agree with ^^^^^
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM

1) No
2) No
3) I would contact the rules committee on fluted barrels
4) My carbine length heavy barrel was checked before the match at Nationals last year and they ok’d it. They didn’t like my Magpul grip and told me to switch to an A2 grip. They did ok the fixed length carbine stock from Magpul though. I saw others shooting other grips.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
Craftsman
Most MM matches I have been to, no rifle has been turned away to shoot, they just were not allowed to compete for medals.

I have not heard of anything to allow them to be grouped into completion like unlimited Garands but perhaps others have.

All the best.

john
I hear what you're saying, it's same at our club, they can shoot for fun & out of competition. Just that guys are disappointed not to shoot for record during a sanctioned CMP match, no possibility of achievement pins, no scorecard/results sent to CMP, etc.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Ok is a Colt AR15 Sporter II with the HBAR allowed? In front of the handguards it's identical to the M16A2, but under the handguards, it doesn't get thinner. It's supposedly the barrel used for the M249 SAW. All I know is that its a PITA to get the handguards on or off.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=134567

Last edited by CadillacMike; 04-23-2018 at 08:15 PM.