Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2019, 01:38 PM
BSAGuy BSAGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Piedmont NC
Posts: 210
Default Help with Markings on My Remington Rand

I received a really nice Field Grade A1 from CMP last week. Mostly RR parts and rebuilt in Anniston in 8/78. I am guessing it was stored since rebuild.

Thanks, CMP.

A couple of questions:
  • Barrel - has "Colt .45 Auto" visible in ejection port. I can't see any other markings. Are they just worn or blasted away on the lugs? Who made the barrel?
  • Trigger guard - Right side - Has an X at top front and a U on lower end by grips. On left side, has an E at top front.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2019, 01:59 PM
DDRode DDRode is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Benson, MN
Posts: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
I received a really nice Field Grade A1 from CMP last week. Mostly RR parts and rebuilt in Anniston in 8/78. I am guessing it was stored since rebuild.

Thanks, CMP.

A couple of questions:
  • Barrel - has "Colt .45 Auto" visible in ejection port. I can't see any other markings. Are they just worn or blasted away on the lugs? Who made the barrel?
  • Trigger guard - Right side - Has an X at top front and a U on lower end by grips. On left side, has an E at top front.

Thanks for your help.
SEE: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=248855

__________________
Dion D. Rode SFC-13F40 (RET)
USN 66-70 (VAH-123, NAVSTA KEFLAVIK, VAW-126)/USNR 72-74/USAR 83-90 (3/14FA-205TH INF BDE)/ MNARNG 90-00 (34TH "RED BULL" INF DIV)


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM
BSAGuy BSAGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Piedmont NC
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRode View Post
I have already been to CoolGunSite. I wouldn't wast the time of folks here with a question that could be answered there.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2019, 03:45 PM
DDRode DDRode is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Benson, MN
Posts: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
I have already been to CoolGunSite. I wouldn't wast the time of folks here with a question that could be answered there.
Okay...

Have you field stripped the weapon???

If not...that's the first thing you need to do to get a look at the barrel lugs!!!

__________________
Dion D. Rode SFC-13F40 (RET)
USN 66-70 (VAH-123, NAVSTA KEFLAVIK, VAW-126)/USNR 72-74/USAR 83-90 (3/14FA-205TH INF BDE)/ MNARNG 90-00 (34TH "RED BULL" INF DIV)


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM
BSAGuy BSAGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Piedmont NC
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRode View Post
Okay...

Have you field stripped the weapon???

If not...that's the first thing you need to do to get a look at the barrel lugs!!!

Yes, I have field stripped it. That is why I know there are no discernible markings on the lugs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 PM
DDRode DDRode is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Benson, MN
Posts: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
Yes, I have field stripped it. That is why I know there are no discernible markings on the lugs.
You'd be amazed at the markings you can find on these pistols with a decent magnifying glass & a good light source!!!

That's what I would do if there's no readily identifable markings!!!

The COLT 45 AUTO on top of the barrel leads me to believe it's a post-war replacement barrel...BUT there should be a "P" on the left lug & a boxed "C" on the right lug!!!

__________________
Dion D. Rode SFC-13F40 (RET)
USN 66-70 (VAH-123, NAVSTA KEFLAVIK, VAW-126)/USNR 72-74/USAR 83-90 (3/14FA-205TH INF BDE)/ MNARNG 90-00 (34TH "RED BULL" INF DIV)



Last edited by DDRode; 07-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM
BSAGuy BSAGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Piedmont NC
Posts: 210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRode View Post
You'd be amazed at the markings you can find on these pistols with a decent magnifying glass & a good light source!!!

I agree. That's why I already did that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM
BSAGuy BSAGuy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Piedmont NC
Posts: 210
Default

So on the barrel, CoolGunSite says this:
"Remington Rand: Used mostly High Standard barrels with "HS" on the upper right side of the lug and a "P" on the left side of the lug. Very early Remington Rands (with “NEW YORK” marked slides and Type II) normally have “Colt .45 AUTO” barrels.

Some Flannery barrels were observed from 1944-45. These barrels have a P on the left side of the lug and a F on the upper right side (1.7-8 million serial number range)."

So I am assuming that my pistol has a RR barrel.

Do the letters on the triggerguard mean anything special?

I am guessing that they don't other than perhaps applied for some internal RR production tracking, such as a machine or machinist that completed certain specific operations on the frame (just a SWAG).

Last edited by BSAGuy; 07-15-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 PM
DDRode DDRode is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Benson, MN
Posts: 1,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
So on the barrel, CoolGunSite says this:
"Remington Rand: Used mostly High Standard barrels with "HS" on the upper right side of the lug and a "P" on the left side of the lug. Very early Remington Rands (with “NEW YORK” marked slides and Type II) normally have “Colt .45 AUTO” barrels.

Some Flannery barrels were observed from 1944-45. These barrels have a P on the left side of the lug and a F on the upper right side (1.7-8 million serial number range)."

So I am assuming that my pistol has a RR barrel.

Do the letters on the triggerguard mean anything special?

I am guessing that they don't other than perhaps applied for some internal RR production tracking, such as a machine or machinist that completed certain specific operations on the frame (just a SWAG).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRode View Post

The COLT 45 AUTO on top of the barrel leads me to believe it's a post-war replacement barrel...BUT there should be a "P" on the left lug & a boxed "C" on the right lug!!!


Your barrel is not a HIGH STANDARD or FLANNERY!!!


I believe it to be a COLT post-war replacement barrel (produced beginning in 1949).


__________________
Dion D. Rode SFC-13F40 (RET)
USN 66-70 (VAH-123, NAVSTA KEFLAVIK, VAW-126)/USNR 72-74/USAR 83-90 (3/14FA-205TH INF BDE)/ MNARNG 90-00 (34TH "RED BULL" INF DIV)


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 PM
thebearpack thebearpack is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
I received a really nice Field Grade A1 from CMP last week. Mostly RR parts and rebuilt in Anniston in 8/78. I am guessing it was stored since rebuild.

Thanks, CMP.

A couple of questions:
  • Barrel - has "Colt .45 Auto" visible in ejection port. I can't see any other markings. Are they just worn or blasted away on the lugs? Who made the barrel?
  • Trigger guard - Right side - Has an X at top front and a U on lower end by grips. On left side, has an E at top front.

Thanks for your help.

As always, pics would help but the barrel is almost certainly Colt, either wartime or post war. Impossible to say when it was made by just the marking on the hood, but it's not a Remington Rand barrel. The passage from Cool Gun Site meant that Colt supplied some of their barrels to RR early on while they were just starting production, not that RR marked any of their barrels Colt.

The trigger guard markings are internal inspection and assembly marks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.