Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2019, 01:38 PM

Default Help with Markings on My Remington Rand

I received a really nice Field Grade A1 from CMP last week. Mostly RR parts and rebuilt in Anniston in 8/78. I am guessing it was stored since rebuild.

Thanks, CMP.

A couple of questions:
  • Barrel - has "Colt .45 Auto" visible in ejection port. I can't see any other markings. Are they just worn or blasted away on the lugs? Who made the barrel?
  • Trigger guard - Right side - Has an X at top front and a U on lower end by grips. On left side, has an E at top front.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSAGuy View Post
I received a really nice Field Grade A1 from CMP last week. Mostly RR parts and rebuilt in Anniston in 8/78. I am guessing it was stored since rebuild.

Thanks, CMP.

A couple of questions:
  • Barrel - has "Colt .45 Auto" visible in ejection port. I can't see any other markings. Are they just worn or blasted away on the lugs? Who made the barrel?
  • Trigger guard - Right side - Has an X at top front and a U on lower end by grips. On left side, has an E at top front.

Thanks for your help.
SEE: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=248855

Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRode View Post
I have already been to CoolGunSite. I wouldn't wast the time of folks here with a question that could be answered there.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I have already been to CoolGunSite. I wouldn't wast the time of folks here with a question that could be answered there.
Okay...

Have you field stripped the weapon???

If not...that's the first thing you need to do to get a look at the barrel lugs!!!

Old 07-15-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Okay...

Have you field stripped the weapon???

If not...that's the first thing you need to do to get a look at the barrel lugs!!!

Yes, I have field stripped it. That is why I know there are no discernible markings on the lugs.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have field stripped it. That is why I know there are no discernible markings on the lugs.
You'd be amazed at the markings you can find on these pistols with a decent magnifying glass & a good light source!!!

That's what I would do if there's no readily identifable markings!!!

The COLT 45 AUTO on top of the barrel leads me to believe it's a post-war replacement barrel...BUT there should be a "P" on the left lug & a boxed "C" on the right lug!!!

Last edited by DDRode; 07-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
You'd be amazed at the markings you can find on these pistols with a decent magnifying glass & a good light source!!!

I agree. That's why I already did that.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM

So on the barrel, CoolGunSite says this:
"Remington Rand: Used mostly High Standard barrels with "HS" on the upper right side of the lug and a "P" on the left side of the lug. Very early Remington Rands (with “NEW YORK” marked slides and Type II) normally have “Colt .45 AUTO” barrels.

Some Flannery barrels were observed from 1944-45. These barrels have a P on the left side of the lug and a F on the upper right side (1.7-8 million serial number range)."

So I am assuming that my pistol has a RR barrel.

Do the letters on the triggerguard mean anything special?

I am guessing that they don't other than perhaps applied for some internal RR production tracking, such as a machine or machinist that completed certain specific operations on the frame (just a SWAG).

Last edited by BSAGuy; 07-15-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
So on the barrel, CoolGunSite says this:
"Remington Rand: Used mostly High Standard barrels with "HS" on the upper right side of the lug and a "P" on the left side of the lug. Very early Remington Rands (with “NEW YORK” marked slides and Type II) normally have “Colt .45 AUTO” barrels.

Some Flannery barrels were observed from 1944-45. These barrels have a P on the left side of the lug and a F on the upper right side (1.7-8 million serial number range)."

So I am assuming that my pistol has a RR barrel.

Do the letters on the triggerguard mean anything special?

I am guessing that they don't other than perhaps applied for some internal RR production tracking, such as a machine or machinist that completed certain specific operations on the frame (just a SWAG).

Quote:

The COLT 45 AUTO on top of the barrel leads me to believe it's a post-war replacement barrel...BUT there should be a "P" on the left lug & a boxed "C" on the right lug!!!

Your barrel is not a HIGH STANDARD or FLANNERY!!!

I believe it to be a COLT post-war replacement barrel (produced beginning in 1949).

Old 07-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks, CMP.

A couple of questions:

Thanks for your help.

As always, pics would help but the barrel is almost certainly Colt, either wartime or post war. Impossible to say when it was made by just the marking on the hood, but it's not a Remington Rand barrel. The passage from Cool Gun Site meant that Colt supplied some of their barrels to RR early on while they were just starting production, not that RR marked any of their barrels Colt.

The trigger guard markings are internal inspection and assembly marks.