Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Default Anschutz 54, what can you tell me about it?

So I'm up at college and I got a peek at the competition rifle I'll be using. It's an Anschutz model 54 I believe. I believe they were cmp purchases from a VERY long time ago.

I tried searching, what do you know about it? Any position tips/tricks with this particular rifle?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 AM

The Anschutz 54 actually described only the action (and attached barrel) of the Anschutz target/match rifle. The 54s were made some time ago. I've got a Model 1413 (54 action and barrel on an international thumbhole stock) which was made in the mid 1970's. As expected, the 54 barrel/action combo is extremely accurate and is probably as good as any they're making now. It was also available on a standard "American" stock and was given another model designation (which I can't recall right now). The 54 on the standard stock is, performance-wise, about the same as the Remington 40X or Winchester 52 rifles with heavy barrels, which is about as accurate as any rimfire rifle ever made. Standard sights are Redfield International, which are functionally almost identicle to the Redfield Olympic on the Remington and Winchester -- 1/4 minute clicks, globe front sights. If you search through the Anschutz website you can locate the owner's manual for the Model 54 variants and download it for free.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Oops! I just checked the Owner's Manual and the "Anschutz International Micrometer Sight No. 6702" has 1/6 (not 1/4) minute clicks for adjustment. The model designations for the Mark 54 barreled action are: 1413 for the "Super Match" in the international thumbhole stock (with palm rest and hooked, adjustable buttplate), 1411 for the "Match 54" in a standard stock with an adjustable comb, and 1407 for the "Match 54" in a standard stock without an adjustable comb.
If you have the international stock version of the rifle it will probably take you some time (and assistance from your coach and/or other shooters) to get all the adjustments where you want them, but there's no other rifle that's as satisfying to shoot as a properly, fully adjusted 1413. The newer Anschutz versions of the Super Match rifle are all XX13 series, so if you come across as 1713 or a 2113, it's just an updated version (newer, synthetic stocks in various colors and patterns, more adjustments and a new action -- which I don't think is really any better than the 54).
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks fox. That's some good stuff to know!

sight adjustment is 1/6" @ 100 yards right?
Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 PM

Default 1/6 MOA equals

1/6 of an inch at 100 yds. 6 clicks about one inch.

At 50 yards 12 clicks about one inch.

At 50 FEET 36 clicks about one inch

I think that's right for the other distances???