Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2019, 01:09 PM

Default 223 load question

I just purchased a 24 inch drop in ar15 barrel for my other upper. I had it chambered for the wylde and to shoot the 80 and 90 gr bullets in.of course I have some 69, 77 and few other odd weights to use but I need a starting point.which powder could be used to give me some accuracy for each bullet.its been so long since I shot the ar15 I forgot most my loading data.i have never shot any of the 90's they weren't available when I was shooting.i hope someone can help me out.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Bullet manufacturers loading books are the best place to start for comprehensive data. To narrow the choices, Sierra recommends Viht N140 and Varget for accuracy with the heaviest bullets. You really can't go wrong with Varget across the board.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 05-30-2019, 10:24 PM

I have used varget and 140 with 69 and 77 and 80 gr bullets and will never use varget again.worst groups ever were with varget but there are guys that swear by it so to each his own. I am set to try 135 and imr 4895 maybe h4895
Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 AM

Go on-line to the Hodgdon, Nosler, Alliant, Western Powder reloading data pages. There are so many appropriate powders for 223/5.56 it will make hour head spin. I load, with good results, H335, IMR4895 (dirty powder in 223), H4895 (much better than IMR), Varget (my favorite), IMR4198, CFE223. Load development is the key. I don't believe I've tried a powder yet I couldn't eventually get sub MOA results from with a little work. If yiu can actually call productive range time "work." Overall, Varget has always performed the best in my AR's and especially my bolt varmint gun where I get under half inch 100 yard groups with 55g V-Max and 25gr Varget.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 AM

Default Reloading for AR-15

These are my experiences from shooting highpower competition:

Unless you are a High Master and you shoot often at 600 yrds, you will not find that the 80 and 90 grain bullets give much, if any, benefit over the 69 and 77 grain bullets. Also the 80 and 90 grain bullets don't fit in the magazine. Its single load only. There is a whole science to adjusting the cartridge OAL such that the 80/90 grain bullets just touch the rifling etc.

If you are master class or less or a new shooter, the 77grain bullet will do everything you need with a lot less fuss. I have seen enough 69 grain groups to say that it is sure seems more accurate out to 300 yards than the 77 gr. However, after that range it needs a lot more wind adjustment.

Walter
Old 05-31-2019, 11:12 AM

I know all about the reloading manuals but I was hoping to find a person that had a descent load already worked up for the 80 and 90 gr bullets. that is with a 1 in 8 twist barrel or 1 in 7. I have heard that the 1 in 7.5 is a good twist too.with the 90 bullets, after seating there is not enough room for much powder so about 24 grs. of any powder is going to be about it.still going to work with the vv135
Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 PM

I used to shoot 80g SMK at 600 with 24.5g of Varget, OAL was about 2.440. that should be .020 / .030 OFF the lands. this was a load that really worked well for me. it was a wilson barrel 1/8. one year at Perry with a 4 to 5 minute wind, shot 197-11. a few years back several folks I know tried 90g bullets. none of them could get them to work, went back to 80's.
I shot 77g SMK's at 200 / 300. same 24.5g of Varget, Mag length.

24.5 is a pretty full case, you will get a "crunch" when you seat them, crunch is good.

Varget worked for me, but if you don't like it, the VV135 is very good, no reason not to use it. I think its a bit hotter than Varget, drop down a few grains and and try it.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 PM

thanks everybody time to move on
Old 06-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeyedave View Post
I know all about the reloading manuals but I was hoping to find a person that had a descent load already worked up for the 80 and 90 gr bullets. that is with a 1 in 8 twist barrel or 1 in 7. I have heard that the 1 in 7.5 is a good twist too.with the 90 bullets, after seating there is not enough room for much powder so about 24 grs. of any powder is going to be about it.still going to work with the vv135
90 grain bullets in 223 were tried and rifles were developed for it by the AMU. That bullet class didn't go anywhere for service rifle. I agree that most will not see much improvement shooting an 80 grain over a 77 at 600. A typical 80 grain load for a Wylde chamber is 24 gr Varget with the bullet seated .020 off with an 8 twist or faster barrel. Of course, work up your loads and watch for pressure signs. The long loaded 80s do require a bit of work up because of the variability of chambers. I have had the best success with Wylde chambers.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:45 AM

when I was shooting the 80 gr bullets I used 24.5 of varget. not very good groups but varget was the powder to use. when the army beat the marines back in the ninties i know that vv135 powder was used in the black rifles.after waiting til November roy baramgarder was writing for precision shooting but the armies loading data was in secret. my armalite upper was a Wilson made barrel and I bought a wylde chamber reamer that was used to cut my chamber.now the big question,did he or did he not ream out my chamber.no matter what he says I have say it never got done. after moving to dallas it and several other ar15 things were stolen.maybe after getting this upper done correctly it might shoot the varget better