Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughUno View Post
I'm not disputing the "history" of .22 match shooting. my point was that true MOA at 100+ yards with a .22lr is neither a very realistic mechanical/ballistic expectation, nor neccessary for longer range NRA small-bore shooting venues. (i.e. I think the nra 100 yard prone target has a 2 inch 10 ring and 1 inch X). I don't even think barrel tuners are legal in NRA prone etc. matches (although it would be "silly" to compete in BR or unlimited IR50 without a tuner).

as far as fun-factor is concerned. dab some grape jelly on various locations on a target at 100 yards on a warm day and come back in a couple hours. with a 10x scope or better, you can try your hand at shootinng flys.
please tell all of us exactly what a tuner does........
Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHSR View Post
please tell all of us exactly what a tuner does........
by moving a "dampening" weight in and out, a tuner allows you to tune barrel harmonics for maximum accuracy. most commonly encountered is a Hoehn. Browning "Boss" same thing (although some of those so-equipped rifles include an integral muzzle brake).

http://media.photobucket.com/image/h...er/collage.jpg

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=107

I personally use (and recommend) the rubber Limbsaver barrel "de-resonator" at a mean 8 bucks each (little hint, coat the inside with CLP if you ever want to move it or remove it! LOL) (BTW, the guy in the pic PROBABLY has the de-resonator in the wrong location).

Also, not gonna work real good with most MATCH type iron sights (although you can 'scrouge' it over a typical ramp/sporter front sight if necessary-it won't really hurt it too much--scope use only)

Last edited by HughUno; 01-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnfieldGuy007 View Post
Thanks for the nice vid..... I cant believe your that fast and accurate at 200....
I should have posted this in the beginning, but the shots in the first half of the video are truncated to save time. However the last two strings of five are unedited.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 AM

I tested my HR-M12, 52B heavy, 82G, and USMC 40X for a proposed long range silhouette match using standard 1/5 NRA smallbore silhouettes at twice their normal distances. Each proved more than adequate for the job using CMP Aquilla ammo. With a 15X Lyman Super Targetspot and my 52B, I could get the elevation for 300 yard shooting on the ram swinger. Let me tell you that was a lot of clicking to get the 7 feet of elevation needed. It is a real thrill to hit a ram swinger at that range. Imaging a dollar bill or a soda can on it's side with a head and two stubby legs. The kimbers can do it easily.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Not that long ago, a 200 yard prone match was a regular part of the smallbore portion of the National Matches. You can still purchase the A-21 target from National Target. I believe the ten ring is 4" (just confirmed from the rule book). It's a challenging part of the game; and it's a good understudy for long-range (800-900-1000 yd) centerfiore shooting. The challenges of calling wind are about the same.

I have an old Pre-A Model 52, that still has the folding ladder sight on it. The elevation scale is marked in yards, not minutes; and with Wolf Match Extra, the markings are dead-on at 50, 100 and 200 yards. I was amazed. I can clean the 100 yard target most of the time; it shoots much better than it has any right to. Two-hundred yards is a bit more of a challenge

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM

And 22s will work at 300 yards too. We routinely shoot steel at 325yds. the 8 inch plates are shot at 200, offhand. Good HP practice as you have to follow through well. :-)
Old 01-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Anyone notice that the Kimber 82Gs occupied 5 of the top 10 slots for high score at this Mississippi match. I want to go to this match in the future.
WMC.